Re: [Full-disclosure] [inbox] Re: Supporters urge halt to, hacker's, extradition to US

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 23:23:34 EDT, Eliah Kagan said:
Has anyone ever been prosecuted for using unsecured wireless for legal purposes?

Not to my knowledge - mostly because all the white hats are too damned busy
dealing with bigger issues. I doubt that we, as a society, can ever get to
the point where this one will be on prosecutor's radar. I certainly could
envision a *civil* suit for somebody pirating an unsecured WAP - but unless
the plaintiff has a truly viable and novel reason to claim huge monetary
damages, it would be cheaper and more productive to just secure the WAP.

Wouldn't that contradict FCC rules governing use of wireless (in the
general sense of wireless), where a wireless system must accept
interference?

No, because the interference regs have a very specific meaning - the wireless
system isn't allowed to freak out and misbehave just because somebody uses a
device in some *other* spectrum range. It's explicitely *allowed* to not work if
something else stomps on its range (so if two WAP's overlap in channel and
coverage, there's no requirement that *either* one work properly).

If your device *generates* interference, and it causes a problem for a device
operating in a licenced spectrum range, it's your problem to cut the crap out.
(So if your vacuum cleaner generates interference on your neighbor's TV, it's
your problem). If it's in an unlicensed range (as almost all consumer-class
electronics are - cordless phones, WAPs, etc), it's basically up to the two
parties involved to work it out between themselves somehow.

  • Re: VOIP Degradation on Wireless Network
    ... I'll assume that both PC's are connected via wireless. ... point of entry of whatever is causeing the interference is the cental ... others are characterised by a pattern just like the one you looked at ... background application that regularly checks for network connectivity. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Dropouts, dropouts and more dropouts!
    ... wireless client, it's hardware, or it's operating system, so I'll ... WirelessMon is a good program but it doesn't show "hidden" networks ... received signal strength from my router hovers around ... strength doesn't matter with interference. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: What is consider as an overkill for Wireless Set up
    ... Thank you for the great link btw. ... What you need to think about is that wireless is a shared medium, ... Provided the WAP does the job, ... For an open office you will probably want to mount whatever device you ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Is wireless viable on and SBS network?
    ... You should be able to use the wireless as transparently as a physical cable, ... and tuning the firewall features based upon the WAP you are connecting to. ... WAP outside your trusted LAN with a firewall between the WAP and the LAN. ... > We have just installed a D-Link WAP to provide a connection for two XP Pro ...
    (microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000)
  • Re: Wireless network w/ SBS
    ... The WAP arrived today and I believe I have it ... non-RADIUS wireless configuration with an SBS network for almost 2 years. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)