[Full-disclosure] Was secreview crap - now OpenVMS!!

Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx said:

Bonus points for knowing that VMS was mostly written in Bliss/32 or some
such, and VM and MVS were a mixture of assembler and (later on) PL/S.
No C knowledge needed for those critters...

OpenVMS is less than 40% Blissful... though I'm not familiar with the original source (wasn't it written on stone tablets?). About 50% is C, with a healthy mix of obsoletes making the difference. How something so elegant could be spawned from such chaos is beyond me.

Mostly, the VMS basic OS utilities are Bliss-based (think: GNU).

I really wish HP would open OpenVMS before they kill it.

Security relevance: UNHACKABLE! <grin>

Randy

  • Re: PL/S ??
    ... Do you mean a sample of code written in the PL/S language? ... Old PL/S code can be found as comments in the MVS 3.8 assembler source ... A newer example of PL/X 370 source can be found on IBM's VM downloads site ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Re: The Lisp Curse
    ... another platform? ... Well I learned decades ago that the same assembler code that worked in 1964 ... You cannot write system code in MVS in any language ... gccmvs is missing basic things required for applications and doesn't ...
    (comp.lang.forth)
  • Re: DLLs and STEPLIBs
    ... I've looked thru the archives and manuals and some SHARE presentations, ... We've got an MVS application (LE C++, calling assembler which cares ... FAILED STEPLIB DID NOT OPEN. ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • DLLs and STEPLIBs
    ... I'm posting to the Assembler list because I mention assembler several ... I've looked thru the archives and manuals and some SHARE presentations, ... We've got an MVS application (LE C++, ... FAILED STEPLIB DID NOT OPEN. ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Hercules and MVS 3.8
    ... Does the publicly available MVS 3.8 include an assembler and TSO? ... Prev by Date: ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)