Re: [Full-disclosure] the heart of the problem [was: RE: mac trojan in-the-wild]

I'll go further. Not only is the situation totally FUBAR, but there is
nothing any of the vendors, OS or security, are doing that will make a
real dent in the malware problem over the next 5-10 years. Things are
only going to get worse. None of the current solutions, and none of the
publicly disclosed solutions, will change the extent and damage of
computer crime. It's appalling. There are real steps we can begin to
take that will make a significant impact, but we as a society are
choosing to not do them. I've written about this, and suggested one
potential solution in several of my articles:

Any interested in reading them should read them in reverse order to get
my logic down on each step.

Essentially, all things Internet need to be re-engineered to remove the
default anonymity and replace with them with default authentication. For
those wishing to keep absolute anonymity, keep on the old,
criminally-owned Internet, or have your traffic and content subjected to
higher levels of scrutiny.

But we will do nothing of substance until a tipping point event happens
and more blood is on the ground than needs to be.

*Roger A. Grimes, InfoWorld, Security Columnist
*CPA, CISSP, CISA, MCSE: Security (2000/2003), CEH, yada...yada...
*email: roger_grimes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx or roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
*Author of Windows Vista Security: Securing Vista Against Malicious
Attacks (Wiley)