[Full-disclosure] MSIE7 entrapment again (+ FF tidbit)

Hello again,

Microsoft Internet Explorer seems to have a soft spot for browser
entrapment vulnerabilities. Just to recap, in these attacks, the user is
made believe he had left a webpage (and the URL bar or SSL state data
reinforce him in this belief) - but in reality, is prevented from doing
so, and his browser continues to display assorted content originating from
the attacker.

This is a close, but somewhat more sinister relative of vanilla URL bar
spoofing. I reported a few of each kind in the recent months.

Well, here's another one, this time based on document.open() calls. In
essence, repeatedly calling this function after a new URL is entered by
the user, before onBeforeUnload is invoked, inhibits page transition - but
target URL bar state is retained. This is remarkably silly.

A live demo is available here:
http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx/ietrap3/

That is all.

PS. The promised tidbit - since I'm leaving for a while and won't have
time to research this - in Firefox, javascript: windows can set
'domainless' cookies by specifying 'domain=.' - for example:

open("javascript:document.cookie='foo=bar;domain=.'","_blank");

Fortunately/unfortunately, these cookies do not get sent to all sites - no
session fixation - though can be retrieved by other null-domain
javascript: / data: pages. Specifying other domains won't work. Multiple
periods will be trimmed. Path can be set arbitrarily, with certain
exceptions. Null-domain cookies load properly when stored in cookies.txt.
Q: can this be used in a manner more sinister than merely facilitating
exchange of "markers" between various user-tracking sites?

/mz

  • MSIE7 entrapment again (+ FF tidbit)
    ... Microsoft Internet Explorer seems to have a soft spot for browser ... Just to recap, in these attacks, the user is ... but somewhat more sinister relative of vanilla URL bar ... these cookies do not get sent to all sites - no ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Re: Explorer strays away...
    ... For example, if you type www.yahoo.com in the URL bar, you ... For instance, when I type www.microsoft.com, the browser may jump to ... Manual updates: Scroll down to Updates Available - ... Go to the HiJackThis section on the forum list and click to open. ...
  • Some Sites not opening
    ... I'm having problem opening site http://symantec.com in IE browser. ... loaded in the browser is homepage of google.com while the URL in the url bar ... The reason I suppose is that somehow the antivirus update client ... virus exes from system32 folder and their entries from the registry. ...
  • Re: [SLE] url on konqueror aligned to right
    ... string in the url bar, it appear aligned to right not to left as normal in ... Anyone know how I can turn on the default value my browser? ... In the konqueror location bar, ... pressing and releasing both the right CTRL+SHIFT keys causes text to be right ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [SLE] url on konqueror aligned to right
    ... string in the url bar, it appear aligned to right not to left as normal ... Anyone know how I can turn on the default value my browser? ... In the konqueror location bar, ... pressing and releasing both the right CTRL+SHIFT keys causes text to be ...
    (SuSE)