Re: [Full-disclosure] Internet Explorer Crash

On 4/17/07, J. Oquendo <sil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

III SOLUTION
Stop using Microsoft products or deal with a new advisory every other
day.

As the replies have shown, this isn't limited to IE7. It happens in Firefox
too, so your solution won't work. :)

In this particular case, IE7 actually handles the loop better than Firefox.
First, I had to actively tell IE, "Yes, I want to run the script." After a
short time, IE came up with a prompt asking if I want to continue running
the script because it's causing my system to be slowed down. Memory usage
shot up about 200 MiB. As soon as I clicked "No" on the dialog, everything
was back to normal.

With Firefox, I had to close the tab manually, which wasn't exactly easy to
do since Firefox was barely responding. In fact, my entire system had slowed
down since Firefox was eating up about 700 MiB of memory, which pushed me
into heavy virtual memory usage.

It didn't DoS me. It stopped me from visiting other web pages for about a
minute, but I recovered without having to restart my system. The rest of my
system was completely usable while IE attempted to run the script, though
that may not have been true with a single core system. There was no crash,
and memory usage, while high, was reasonable.

--
Troy

  • Re: Firefox (Pale Moon) project?
    ... collection and it starts growing in memory usage even if you haven't ... It is Firefox, minus some bloat (e.g. ... Since you mentioned faster load speeds, I use the UPX packer on Firefox, Pale Moon, Thunderbird, Photoshop 6 and 7, and other programs, and it speeds up load times, sometimes significantly. ... There are free "shell" programs that provide a gui for UPX, I think you select a folder and the compression level, then click a button to pack all of the exe and dll files in the folder you selected automatically. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: [Full-Disclosure] Firefox 0.92 DoS via TinyBMP
    ... The first time I opened the page memory usage could be seen on Task ... Are you certain this is a vuln in Firefox? ... I get almost identical results opening the same page in IE ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: Firefox (Pale Moon) project?
    ... Yousuf Khan wrote: ... Well, my main concern is memory usage, Firefox has got terrible garbage ... It is Firefox, minus some bloat (e.g. ... Well, if it loads much faster on startup, which I think it does, that's ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Possible Memory Leak with Fedora 9 64-bit?
    ... 2 tabbed shells, file manager, and Firefox 3. ... another workspace might help: When the system freezes, ... rates, memory usage, cpu usage, etc. ... are running vmstat, it may be enough. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Internet Explorer - Firefox
    ... Firefox, the problem is how publisher displayed it in IE. ... I imagine it is a problem with how the script is ... suppose to display a search box for flights..i am pretty sure that the ...
    (microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign)