Re: [Full-disclosure] Exploiting Microsoft dynamic Dns updates

Dear Denis,

As I told before, this feature/vulnerability related with dynamic dns
updates is known for a long time. My experience has demonstrated that this
weak configuration is very common and extended between most companies and
some of the attack vectors that I exposed were never considered as a threat.

I agree with you that Windows 2003 provides more security, but that's not
the default configuration with windows 2000 server.

I was not aware of nsupdate tool so I coded Dnsfun just as a proof of
concept (not as a high-sk1llz hacker tool). It helped me to test some
configuration issues.
If it also helps people to identify risky configurations then its enough for
me.

Andres Tarasco

2007/4/3, Denis Jedig <dj@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 11:35:18 +0100 Andres Tarasco wrote:

> By default, most Microsoft DNS servers integrated with active directory
allow
> insecure dynamic updates for dns records.

This statement is way too broad. Creating an AD-integrated zone in Windows
Server 2003 does create a "secure updates only" zone by default. You can
influence this behavior in the zone creation wizard though.

> dnsfun exploits that weak configuration and allows remote users to
modify dns records.

I am not sure if I do see the point in rewriting nsupdate from bindtools.
am also quite uncertain if this really might count as a "hacker" or
"security" tool of any kind.

--
Denis Jedig
syneticon networks GbR http://syneticon.net/service/

  • Re: New Installation and many problems
    ... Ethernet adapter Server Local Area Connection: ... Connection-specific DNS Suffix. ... This condition usually indicates a configuration error. ... As I look through the list of updates in ADD/REMOVE programs, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: [LONG] 70-291 - DNS Dynamic Registration Problem
    ... Advanced configuration properties for DNS are at their defaults. ... Another machine, the DNS server, is assigned the 192.168.0.1/24 static ... Think of this as "allow unsecure updates" (I really wish they ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)
  • Re: NTDS Inbound neighbos removal
    ... The DSA operation is unable to proceed because of a DNS lookup ... Gathering NetBT configuration information. ... Owner of the binding path: ... Upper Component: NWLink SPX/SPXII Protocol ...
  • Re: replication between sites
    ... I have an application which would publish its info via dynamic updates to a directory integrated dns zone. ... I understand what you wrote below about the way replication works. ...
  • Re: RENDOM /end fails
    ... see Help and Support Center at ... DNS server IP address: 154.15.251.166 ... For computers and users to locate this domain controller, ... This is not a recommended security configuration. ...