Re: [Full-disclosure] Windows .ANI LoadAniIcon Stack Overflow

AS> A much simpler solution is to use heap spraying (which works fine on

AS> Vista) for systems that don't have DEP enabled.
TZ> Are we talking Sofware DEP or Hardware enforce DEP ?

Heap spraying implies running code in the heap, which any DEP should
block. There are all kinds of software techniques that would detect heap
spraying. I'm sure any HIPS would block it. But like DEP they're not on
in Windows by default.

Larry Seltzer
eWEEK.com Security Center Editor
http://security.eweek.com/
http://blog.eweek.com/blogs/larry%5Fseltzer/
Contributing Editor, PC Magazine
larryseltzer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

  • Re: [Full-disclosure] Windows .ANI LoadAniIcon Stack Overflow
    ... AS> A much simpler solution is to use heap spraying (which works fine on Vista) for ... Are we talking Sofware DEP or Hardware enforce DEP? ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • DEP and /NXCOMPAT troubles...
    ... We have long had a robust 32 bit application that loads object code into a ... for managing DEP in the control-panel system window). ... But it seems like I'm suddenly getting complaints from Vista users. ... Data Execution Prevention" or not. ...
  • Re: DEP and /NXCOMPAT troubles...
    ... for managing DEP in the control-panel system window). ... But it seems like I'm suddenly getting complaints from Vista users. ... Data Execution Prevention" or not. ... It appears that EDITBIN isn't doing what I expect. ...
  • Re: data execution prevention program (DEP) for windows 64 bit?
    ... blocking my ATI radon HD 3200 graphics card from functioning. ... version 8.563.3.2000 for vista 64 bit, if anyone can or knows a DEP friendly ... DEP hoping that i could notch it out of the program. ... computers HDMI functions and other graphic features. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Vista DEP will NOT go away
    ... I've tried disabling DEP through the Vista GUI by adding exceptions and ... When I go to the DEP menu in Vista it's all greyed out now ... as GameGuard continues to be forcefully terminated by Vista ...