Re: [Full-disclosure] Solaris telnet vulnberability - how many on your network?

The simplest possible fix on such short notice:

http://cvs.opensolaris.org/source/diff/onnv/onnv-gate/usr/src/cmd/cmd-inet/usr.sbin/in.telnetd.c
?r2=3629&r1=2923

Casper

How about just uncommenting the following from /etc/default/login

# If CONSOLE is set, root can only login on that device.
# Comment this line out to allow remote login by root.
#
CONSOLE=/dev/console

Not a fix to be sure, but at least prevents a remote login.

That is the default; and preventing root logins does not prevent
other logins.

"svcadm disable telnet" is the best fix (and there's really no
reason to enable it)

Casper

  • Re: Why Linux take so long to process username and password?
    ... instead of a networked login of course, which is a whole different cracking ... sysadmin by disabling root's remote login if there's noone around on site ... A good example would be when a known sysadmin ... suspend remote logins (including root) that fail three times or whatever. ...
    (linux.redhat.misc)
  • SUMARY: Cant login as root
    ... As a result, i was not able to log in as root, neither create a new ... Asunto: RE: Can't login as root ... > console. ... > If we log as any other user everythig is ok, but we cannot either do su-. ...
    (Tru64-UNIX-Managers)
  • Re: I/O Errot, dev 03:05 (hda), sector 3932268
    ... >> Are you saying that you were presented with a text login passwd prompt? ... >> root passwd and fix it, ... > I did get the cntl-D prompt annd tried to login and fix it. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: How to login as root from remote machine
    ... On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 18:35, Kanaga sabai wrote: ... > I'd problem with remote login as root. ...
    (RedHat)
  • RE: Urgent help needed with Login problems after installation of FC1
    ... symptom trying to su back to root. ... After another minimal install, I was able to add my user and su to it and su ... I was unable to boot using the boot floppy. ... I did a minimal install and was able to login as root, ...
    (Fedora)