[Full-disclosure] Re: Linux kernel source archive vulnerable

coderpunk writes:

The standard recommendation is to never compile
the kernel as root.

Which obviously doesn't help you when a non-root user edits the
kernel, you compile it as 'jerry' but still have to install it as
'root'. You're still hosed.

Geez, of course not. Unpacking the kernel as non-root honors umask.
Problem solved.
It would help to 'info tar' before posting...

-Joe

  • Software-Raid1 Root in Woody
    ... This document briefly describes the steps needed to install a Debian ... Woody GNU/Linux system with root on a software raid1 device. ... I used SCSI disks because I had them easily available, ... I started from floppies (vanilla kernel) + network, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Software-Raid1 Root in Woody
    ... This document briefly describes the steps needed to install a Debian ... Woody GNU/Linux system with root on a software raid1 device. ... I used SCSI disks because I had them easily available, ... I started from floppies (vanilla kernel) + network, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Compiling a kernel
    ... make install and a mkinitrd. ... access the root file system you pass to your kernel (i.e. ... Kernel hacking is quite a bit easier on GNU distributions ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Multibooting
    ... I use the Grub loader to load both of them. ... Don't install or configure any boot loader with RedHat9. ... > Rreplace xx-xx with your kernel version. ... > The root line tells wich disk and which partition on it contains file ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Etch on USB-HD wont boot - race condition?
    ... notebook but the kernel cannot find the root filesystem. ... I had an initial problem that I think I got solved: On boot, ... Begin: Mounting root file system... ... SCSI device sda: 78140159 512-byte hdwr sectors ...
    (Debian-User)