Re: [Full-disclosure] NNTP and Yahoo IM conflict

On 8/10/06, NTR <ntr@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi All,

I am trying analyze NNTP traffic and i have created a profile for NNTP
protocol. It's a kind of NNTP protocol anomaly detection.
I have also observed some time Yahoo Instant Messenger uses NNTP
port. Though it is using NNTP port the format is quite different
from NNTP protocol. It is the point where my parsing engine facing
problem. Each time whenever yahoo connects on NNTP port
my parsing engine treats it as NNTP protocol anomaly and start generating
alerts. I am looking for some advise or solution to solve
this problem. how we should profile NNTP protocol so that it can
differentiate yahoo traffic from the genuine NNTP traffic.

Thanks and anticipating early solutions.

I guess this would be a start:

ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc977.txt

Thanks and Regards,
NTR

-- mic

  • Re: New Apple II Forum on AtariAge
    ... talk NNTP without a bunch of work, and the NNTP protocol isn't ever ... So, it's a pipe dream. ...
    (comp.sys.apple2)
  • [Full-disclosure] NNTP and Yahoo IM conflict
    ... I am trying analyze NNTP traffic and i have created a profile for NNTP protocol. ... I have also observed some time Yahoo Instant Messenger uses NNTP port. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • NNTP and Yahoo IM conflict.
    ... I am trying analyze NNTP traffic and i have created a profile for NNTP protocol. ... I have also observed some time Yahoo Instant Messenger uses NNTP port. ...
    (Focus-IDS)
  • XP SP2 Firewall and Newsreaders
    ... I have been trying to get the SP2 firewall to allow NNTP type transfers ... I am currently using Thunderbird but have tried Xnews and Xana news. ... adding the secondary NNTP port not sure what to call it ...
  • Re: Closing the Microsoft News Groups
    ... But BOTH new NNTP Bridges use the ... NNTP server to your newsreader. ... "Microsoft Answers NNTP Bridge", uses NNTP Port 120 at the same address, ...