Re: [Full-disclosure] blue security folds

While I agree (mostly), getting the ISPs to do what you suggest will
never happen. If I, Joe Clueless User, have a bot running on my PC
spamming half the world, and my ISP notices this and shuts me off, what
will I do?
Most people would call the ISP tech support and say "my web doesn't work
any more". At that point they could be informed that they are part of a
botnet and need to reinstall their OS, your personal information is
possibly comprimised, call us when you are done and we'll switch you
back on.

I used to co-locate a server in an ISP and it got pwned. The ISP shut my
port off. I called, and he told me what was going on, I came down,
swapped out the box with a properly secured one(I was inexperienced at
the time), and was back up in no time.

Assuming I'm like the majority of users and either a) don't know, or
You'd know when your port got shut down and called tech support because
they'd tell you.

b) don't care what they're talking about,
You'd care if they cut you off.

I'll cancel my account and switch to another ISP (that won't shut me off).
If ISP's all did the right thing, you'd get cut off again and again and
maybe eventually follow their advice or go without internet until you

To do what
you suggest would be for the greater good of the whole "Internet
community", but would negatively affect $ISP's bottom line.
Excess bandwidth usage doesn't? How about all the time spent tracking
down complaints and begging to have your ISP pulled out of blacklists
because your users' computers are spamming people?

This line of reasoning doesn't work for me. It doesn't work for the
internet either, as we can all see. ISP's need to start turning ports
off for people that are part of botnets. If it kept happening to them,
they'd wise up and stop running every attachment they received.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Hosted and sponsored by Secunia -

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Spam retribution
    ... >>The real value IMO of Spamcop is not the reporting to the ISP - many of ... >>them are complicit in the spamming - but the generation of Spam Block ... their users suffer pain, the offending ISPs won't do anything about it ... it eats a bit of their system resource, ...
  • Re: "Overview of the Einsteinhoax Website"
    ... meaning that the originator is intentionally ... If that doesn't qualify as spamming, ... The defense spam that is frequently posted here ... however my ISP provides for multiple user names and permits them to be ...
  • Re: Tiscali suspend account due to customer spamming them?
    ... spamming. ... Is it normal practce for an ISP to just suspend your acount if this ... What defence to you suggest then 'Joe Soap'? ... He was already running a firewalled Netgear router, ...
  • Re: Ping Collcon
    ... would add is that you might consider the Dilemma Stress Balance. ... someone who is spamming me" a person from one of the ... the Principle should always outweigh the Practical. ... an inquiry with the ISP about the issue. ...
  • Re: "Overview of the Einsteinhoax Website"
    ... This is an unmoderated newsgroup, as are all that Ernest Wittke ... doesn't qualify as spamming, I don't know what ... different E-mail names, however my ISP ... spam postings. ...