Re: [Full-disclosure] Shell accounts

On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 11:48:41PM +0100, Ian stuart Turnbull wrote:
Ha Ha. Yes, not a proper fiend hey. But I take it that I would be anonymous
technically.
If I were to do it for real I'd probably set up an internet connection in
an assumed name complete with a fake bank account so there'd be no one for
the cops to berate, just the computer [with no logs] to kick.

Not leaving log files is not that easy. And it becomes harder when
someone can get physical access to install all sorts of nifty add-ons.

Also, note that log files are only useful if the police arrive with a
search warrant or something along those lines - the ISP will just
terminate the account, keep the money, and tell your friend to f**k off.
It would be difficult to do something about this, especially since the
ISP is likely able to wave around some logs of their own.

Come to think of it, that's one more log file that will be difficult to
clear. Whether or not it is made at all depends on the ISP, and mostly
on the domestic laws whereever you live.

Joachim

  • Re: TS clients are being disconnected at remote location
    ... And it sounds like your ISP is fixing things at their end, ... MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server ... a program that can log your ping times like Axence NetTools ... The log files proved to my ISP that it was their ...
  • Re: while uploading, error. can not close service.cnf
    ... Web server set by your Internet service provider (ISP). ... Old log files in your Web are not removed. ...
  • Re: [Full-disclosure] Shell accounts
    ... Not leaving log files is not that easy. ... ISP is likely able to wave around some logs of their own. ... Charter: http://lists.grok.org.uk/full-disclosure-charter.html ... Hosted and sponsored by Secunia - http://secunia.com/ ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: Logging on Outlook Anywhere in Exchange 2007
    ... Outlook Anywhere through Internet connection to synchronize. ... to give through log files from system32\logfiles ... What Exntended Logging options have you checked in IIS? ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
  • Re: software application for WMS server to find quantity of users by ISP?
    ... Log Parser can parse the file, you'll need to marry it up with ISP some ... Given that the IPs in the log files belong to the ISPs, ... software application to parse the WMS server log files, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.server)