[Full-disclosure] Shell accounts

Sorry folks,
my inquisitiveness has got the better of me again.
After reading some info on hacking it refernces getting a Shell account.
Is this a unix type bash/bourne shell? It mentions that to remain anonymous you will need a Shell account. I know there are a number of places offering free shell accts some with an out to the internet others without.

Suppose I had a friend who had a Linux connected to the internet and I got him to set me up a username. As long as his machine didn't do any logging [and he pretended not to know of anyone using this account] would I - using sssh to connect] be traceable.

No I'm not planning on doing any hacking or causing mischief. Though I'd love to know who's trying to get into my machine... but thats another story!!

Ian t

  • [Full-Disclosure] ron1n phone home, episode 5
    ... Moving out of the comfort of Windows and into k-rad UNIX hacking is not ... How to Get a *Good* Shell Account ... You’ve fixed up your Windows box to boot up with a lurid hacker logo. ... Once upon a time the most common way to get on the Internet was through a ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: [Full-disclosure] Shell accounts
    ... Subject: [Full-disclosure] Shell accounts ... > After reading some info on hacking it refernces getting a Shell account. ... > Ian t ... > Are you using the latest version of MSN Messenger? ...