[Full-disclosure] PHPMyChat Authentication Bypass
- From: "Debasis Mohanty" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 00:06:29 +0530
PHPMyChat Authentication Bypass
I won't have bothered to post this silly flaw but after seeing the google
search result for inurl:phpMyChat.php3 , I thought it would be good idea to
keep people informed.
phpMyChat is an easy-to-install, easy-to-use multi-room chat based on PHP
and a database, supporting MySQL, PostgreSQL, and ODBC. It supports some
IRC-like commands, and has been translated to 33 different languages.
II. BUG DESCRIPTION
In the default installation of phpmychat (version 0.14.5) any unregistered
user can get access to the chat rooms by inputing both the user name and
password as same in the input box. i.e. the user name should be same as
password. I tried loging in through various vulnerable sites using these
user id and password combination which granted me un-authorised access to
the rooms -
User Id Password
Note: In some cases the user id with 'admin' might not work for the password
as 'admin' as during installation the owner might have changed it.
Un-authorised user access to chat rooms
IV. AFFECTED PRODUCTS
I have only tested this for PhpMyChat 0.14.5 but I guess the previous
versions might also be affected.
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Hosted and sponsored by Secunia - http://secunia.com/
- Prev by Date: Re: [Full-disclosure] How we caught an Identity Thief
- Next by Date: [Full-disclosure] Re: new linux malware
- Previous by thread: [Full-disclosure] SUSE Security Announcement: gpg, liby2util signature checking problems (SUSE-SA:2006:009)
- Next by thread: [Full-disclosure] Re: new linux malware