[Full-disclosure] Re: blocking Google Desktop

Joshua Levitsky wrote:
Sorry, but explain? You mean something beyond the index of your
personal data then? Did they add something beyond that?

-Josh

It apparently stores your actual files now so you can search your desktop
on one pc from your desktop on another pc.

http://desktop.google.com/features.html#searchremote

" Clear my files from Google: In order to share your indexed files between
your computers, we first copy this content to Google Desktop servers located
at Google. This is necessary, for example, if one of your computers is
turned off or otherwise offline when new or updated items are indexed on
another of your machines. We store this data temporarily on Google Desktop
servers and automatically delete older flies, and your data is never
accessible by anyone doing a Google search. You can learn more by reading
the Google Desktop privacy policy.

While your data is automatically deleted from our servers, you can use the
Clear my Files from Google button to manually remove all your files from
Google Desktop servers. Note that if these files haven't yet been copied to
your other computers, clicking this button will prevent you from finding
them when you search from your other computers. The files will, of course,
still be searchable from their computer of origin. "

</shudder> It really doesn't seem like such a good idea to me, I won't be
installing it.

cheers,
DaveK