[Full-disclosure] Re: Question for the Windows pros

Paul Schmehl wrote in news:81C38B0596641FE18D090A87@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Oh, alright, just one more, then I'll leave it until I've finished my
essay.

> The spyware has to bring the credentials with it. The user doesn't *have*
> the credentials. It *gets* them from the process in question. That's a
> bit different. The user has the right to impersonate within the context
> of a process. The process must already have the credentials to elevate,
> or the user gets nothing (if I'm understanding impersonation correctly.)

You aren't, sorry! This is in fact almost exactly back-to-front: the user
*does* have credentials, and processes inherit their credentials from the
user who launches the process.

cheers,
DaveK