Re: [Full-disclosure] Stop aiding an industry that just hurts humanity

On 1/5/06, Andrew A <gluttony@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "In the end, more than freedom, they wanted security. They wanted a
> comfortable life, and they lost it all – security, comfort, and freedom.
> When the Athenians finally wanted not to give to society but for society to
> give to them, when the freedom they wished for most was freedom from
> responsibility, then Athens ceased to be free and was never free again."
> –Edward Gibbon
>
> We stand at the cusp of a renaissance. A freely communicating humanity is
> closer to unity and harmony than ever before. Never before have ideas and
> knowledge traveled so rapidly. If not for the Internet, little would be
> known about the atrocities our government attempts to commit in secret. All
> the American people would be able to read is the party line off of cable
> television. With a morally bankrupt media, the Internet is the key to any
> sort of democratic resistance. Thanks to the Internet, we may view photos of
> wounded Iraqis and internal government memos. The priveledge of viewing and
> knowing these things is easily lost.
>
> We approach the final hour of the free Internet. As I write, forces within
> our society are beginning to impose control and restriction onto it. If
> these forces are not turned back, I know that within a decade that the free
> world's Internet will be a mix of cable television and the supressed Chinese
> Internet. As a beggar, I present myself with the humility that my lowly
> position deserves. My plea is simple: stop publishing your vulnerabilities.
> We will need them.
>
> I want my children and their children to have access to truth. Not just my
> truth, or my government's truth, but all the other truths in the world as
> well.
>
> I want us to be able to communicate easily and safely about the actions of
> our government.
>
> I want the merits of the Internet to progress in form and finesse until we
> are ready to cast the criminals, thugs, and mammonites out power all over
> the world.
>
> A secure Internet is an Internet without freedom, without privacy, and
> without anonymity. The nature of security is control. Were we to be governed
> by the just, I would worry little about this situation. Sadly, the political
> systems of the first world have been perverted by an evil which ensures that
> none who do not share its nature hold office.
>
> Submitting yourself to a secure system requires that we have a reasonable
> amount of trust for the system's keepers. Does your current government have
> the ideal qualities needed to control the flow of information? We should be
> keeping everything which may allow us to circumvent the system guarded
> closely. The subversion of trusted resources will eventually be the only way
> to keep forbidden information in mass circulation and the primary means of
> resistance against tyranny.
>
> "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
> [...]

And you may ask yourself
What is that beautiful house?
And you may ask yourself
Where does that highway go?
And you may ask yourself
Am I right? ...am I wrong?
And you may tell yourself
My god!...what have I done? –David Byrne

  • Security and Freedom
    ... There cannot be freedom without security nor true security without ... that free peoples bring to war. ... and the military turn on their despised government. ...
    (alt.politics.bush)
  • Re: Sciepa pod obserwacja -- A SZCZEGOLNIE SCIAGAJA "ZLOTE" MYSLI "SZFECKIE" Z UMEA I TE SPO
    ... "Tapping into the huge flows of internet data ... Google has issued a strong denial that it allows the US government to ... America's National Security Agency, ... "These latest reports over the last 48 ...
    (soc.culture.polish)
  • Re: The Government is protecting us from the like sof you.
    ... America too? ... Oh and hackers....we need the government to protect us now ... misinformation campaigns and activist calls by Internet bloggers, ... an undersecretary at the Homeland Security Department. ...
    (alt.guitar.amps)
  • Re: [Full-disclosure] Stop aiding an industry that just hurts humanity
    ... > "In the end, more than freedom, they wanted security. ... the Internet is ... > may view photos of wounded Iraqis and internal government memos. ... > I want my children and their children to have access to truth. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Sciepa pod obserwacja
    ... "Tapping into the huge flows of internet data ... Google has issued a strong denial that it allows the US government to ... Parliament's Intelligence and Security Committee Committee (ISC) ... America's National Security Agency, ...
    (soc.culture.polish)