Re: [Full-disclosure] Clever crooks can foil wiretaps, security flaw in tap technology

On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 15:03 -0500, Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:
> There is some indirect evidence that criminals might already know
> about the vulnerabilities in the systems, Mr. Blaze said, because of
> "unexplained gaps" in some wiretap records presented in trials.
>
> Those old enough to remember Watergate will remember a very significant
> 18-minute gap.

I think he is referring to gaps in the records, like taped calls
Tuesday, taped calls Wednesday, strangely no call on tape on Thursday,
taped calls on Friday, etc.

If the tap recorder can be shut off with a signal, you would not
encounter "dead space" on the tape for a duration of time. Instead you
would have a premature end of that session.

Now, it would be really troubling if another signal could be sent to
reactivate the recorder (which I find likely to be possible). That way
you could let yourself get tapes, but silently exclude a section for a
minute where you discuss devious matters. The tape would appear to be
complete (if it is autonomously recorded. If someone listens in a logs
the time/duration with a stop watch, the jig would be up).

So, if you can manipulate the tape so that it *appears* to be in order,
but lets you pause the recording at will, you have plausible denyability
(or whatever the correct term is). *That* is way more scary than an
known premature end.

Cheers,
Frank

against your ports.

  • Re: Canon PIXMA iP4599 TIA
    ... The gaps are about three lines deep and pefectly spaced ...  the strip of magnetic tape. ...  It could be a changed setting in the program doing the ... I reset the printer to best printing setting and it worked then. ...
    (comp.periphs.printers)
  • Re: Align a cassette deck
    ... record and playback gaps in the same head. ... Of course if you're aligning to play a tape, ... Record/play levels - and quite often there is an adjustment for each tape type. ...
    (rec.audio.pro)
  • Re: Canon PIXMA iP4599 TIA
    ... The gaps are about three lines deep and pefectly spaced ... airline tickets etc. with no faults at ... the strip of magnetic tape. ... or in the printer preferences/setup. ...
    (comp.periphs.printers)
  • Re: amatuer drywalling
    ... You cut paper tape (not fiberglass!), mud the tape ... It helps to fill the gaps with mud before ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: amatuer drywalling
    ... Harry K wrote: ... You cut paper tape, mud the tape ... It helps to fill the gaps with mud before ...
    (alt.home.repair)