[Full-Disclosure] Netsys Mailman Probes due to Illegal Attachments

From: Fun In The Sun [FITS] (aisvnazron_at_cfl.rr.com)
Date: 11/30/05

    To: <full-disclosure@lists.grok.org.uk>
    Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 08:03:05 -0500

    Hi J Tucker
    In lieu to you demise in sending email
    and getting errors 554.0.0.0 Service unavailable Sometimes the receiving ISP
    will detect attachments with syntax words as fun, download, pictures, photos, etc
    and suspect them as viruses and/or spam. Sometimes you can jump over the
    problem by sending the message in ASCII format or just remove the picture and
    give the link to the picture in the message
    EXAMPLE: photo: ref http://www.angelfire.com/droid/aisvnazron/images/Logo-SpecialReport.jpg
    Even though the pictures isn't present, the link is available so the receiver can see it.
    Also certain configuration will trigger the spam filters and reject your message.
    AOL is notorious for this action and use certain keywords which will reject your
    message and as a generic message bounce your message back as " Service Unavailable "
    because it found something in the message it recognizes as
    POSSIBLE spam or unusual. If you know HTML coding, you can send the entire
    message as " <STYLE> text< /STYLE> " with the links to exclude the HTTP protocol. i.e. <script=TEXT

    Regards

    Jim

    • Re: OT: Wondering about free posting of pics
      ... Interesting you would quote a Mickeysoft security bulletin from 2003. ... As far as malware and virii go i understand they are usually ... spam list buyer or hacker. ... a site that we can sling our pictures on the wall and see ...
      (rec.crafts.woodturning)
    • Re: Turning off pictures
      ... malware can be transmitted via pictures.) ... When I receive 10+ e-mail messages per day this is quite bothersome. ... Doing this may be overkill but malware transmission seems to be the new ... the SPAM gets a report and they know your email address is a good one. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
    • NOT SPAM was: Re: Dozen or More Kill Deer (?) Vigorously Emptying Feeders That Id Just Filled-
      ... like SPAM to me. ... BTW, I'm no expert but, in my area, killdeer don't come to my feeders. ... clicked on your link I got to a redirect site that looked like it was trying ... I'm trying to find the pictures of the baby killdeer that wandered up onto ...
      (rec.birds)
    • Re: Walthers Swing Bridge up-date
      ... Apparently, in order to view the pictures, you must JOIN myspace.com (yet ... another source of spam, and a widely abused web site). ... Users of my websites there don't have do provide any information. ... > Also check out the Westchester Model Railroad Club's train meet in Greenwich ...
      (rec.models.railroad)
    • Re: Last sail of the season...?
      ... it's doing in background while you're watching the pretty pictures. ... There was a flash movie playing a spam that bothered me reading, so I right clicked on it and a popup window asked me if I minded the New York Times turning on my WEBCAM AND MICROPHONE SO THEY COULD WATCH INSIDE MY HOUSE! ...
      (rec.boats.cruising)