Re: [Full-disclosure] This crap needs to stop

From: Goetz Von Berlichingen (goetzvonberlichingen_at_comcast.net)
Date: 11/30/05

    Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 22:15:39 -0700
    To: Eliah Kagan <degeneracypressure@gmail.com>

    Eliah Kagan wrote:
    > To say that every time a company makes a mistake that hurts their
    > users is as bad as Sony installing rootkits on people's computers
    > nickels and dimes the issue of personal privacy and corporate spying
    > and makes it more difficult to fight true corporate maliciousness.
    >
    > On the other hand, yeah, something should be done about this. It's
    > really, really bad when every once in a while a device ships with
    > malware, whatever the intention.

       I remember buying a Sony laptop back in about 2001, running
    Systemworks on it, and getting back a report of 50-some odd registry
    problems and 4 instances of malcode (I think they were all virii). I
    reformatted from the Sony-supplied image CDs and they were all on the
    images.

       I just don't think Sony cares what the consumer gets from them.

    Goetz