Re: [Full-disclosure] Security Updates Without Rebooting

Valdis.Kletnieks_at_vt.edu
Date: 11/09/05

    To: Joxean Koret <joxeankoret@gmail.com>
    Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 22:18:17 -0500

    On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 01:48:33 +0100, Joxean Koret said:

    > In some cases you can hot-patch a kernel without rebooting the system,

    Note that this is serious double-or-nothing here, because it's just *so*
    easy to totally screw the pooch doing this, and ending up with an outage
    *much* longer than a 'shutdown -r' would have caused. Worst case is a stray
    pointer causing subtle filesystem damage, undetected for a while......

    A much more cost-effective scheme would be 2 systems in a fail-over config,
    so that you can reboot one and then the other without a disruption.

    • Re: KB958644 keeps kicking me off line.
      ... as I downloaded the patch and rebooted, my intel wireless pro icon went ... If I hadn't just downloaded the patch, I would have been more concerned. ... connection from control panel/networking, and I got on once, albeit a slow ... I tried rebooting several times and never got on again. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
    • Re: VB6 Run-time errors after microsoft patches and updates
      ... solution so can someone help me troubleshoot what recent patches may be doing ... patch the thing starts working bug free. ... Rebooting also seems to help. ... I have now looked at two tablets ...
    • RE: Sasser on Virtual PC for Mac
      ... I can't use VPC or my Mac OS. ... This MS04-011 patch WILL resolve the issue on the Windows Installation on the Virtual PC. ... This will stop the system from rebooting long enough for you to download the MS04-011 patch and the cleaner tool. ...
      (microsoft.public.security.virus)
    • Re: Exchange server hangs on Applying Computer Setting when attempting to join a domain.
      ... after rebooting from a patch. ... We then installed ACPBE and uninstalled it, ... The 9/27 patch has been uninstalled, with no change in the server. ...
      (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
    • KB958644 keeps kicking me off line.
      ... Is anyone else having trouble with XP's latest critical service patch, ... On my wireless laptop last night, a Dell 1505 running XP media SP3, as soon ... broken up connection that lasted a minute or so, ... I tried rebooting several times and never got on again. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)