Re: [Full-disclosure] Av, spyware, ddl trojan assesment

From: Neil Carpenter (primate_at_mindspring.com)
Date: 09/22/05

    Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 08:13:01 -0400
    To: Sherwill22@hotmail.com

    (Moved inapplicable mailing lists to BCC:)

    Sherwyn Williams wrote:

    > Hey list, I know this is not a how to protect your pc list. But I
    > would like to know what are some good AV, spyware, adware, and
    > software firewalls to use. I have to come up with a plan for a few of
    > my clients who are always being infected.

    (Opinions are my own and do not reflect those of my employer, my
    friends, family, or anybody who knows me.)

    Anti-virus software and anti-spyware/adware software are reactive
    solutions...they don't help you unless you're already vulnerable. A
    software firewall is more of a security blanket than it is real
    protection. If you really want to help your customers, help them setup
    a comprehensive security patch management and auditing solution. When
    people get infected with malware, it's very rarely some ex0t1c 0-day
    'sploit...it's because they are months (even years) out of date on
    security fixes.

    After you've got that resolved and you've cleaned out your customer's
    current issues (you _do_ follow the best practice of formatting any
    machine that is compromised, right?), then you can worry about charging
    them for an a-v solution, an anti-spyware solution, more firewalls, etc,
    etc.

    And, you're right, these lists aren't meant for this sort of thing. In
    the future, you should consider doing more research before sending out
    e-mail looking for (the wrong people) to do your research for you.

    And what kind of consultant uses a hotmail address professionally, anyway?

    N.

    • RE: firewall question/confusion
      ... security on that site, cool feature.. ... If you need the router and want a firewall too ... I purchased a D-link 604 wired ... and that running two software firewalls is not a good ...
    • Re: Zone Alarm & Wireless Access Point Security
      ... I have removed the software firewalls that ... I am now so happy that I have the router. ... security software and apps and just use some common sense and keep the ... they must be running 2 dozen security apps. ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: SP2 Security Center
      ... > Center Icon in the Task Bar Window. ... > hardware and software Firewalls, ... > to continuously close the Pop-up window. ... you can disable the Security Center service. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Extreme Rookie question
      ... > software firewalls only, currently Sygate Pro (I have a single computer ... Layering rather than relying on just one security device/method is ... need to do that unless you have a long download running. ... Connections> Right click on Local Area Connection> Select Disable. ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: NT 4 server firewall?
      ... > Software firewalls do not give security. ... Ever seen a CP-FW1 running on Trusted solaris? ... Please note tha NT4 is END OF LIFE. ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)