Re: [Full-disclosure] Re: The Wireless Networking Excuse

fd_at_ew.nsci.us
Date: 08/30/05

    Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 20:11:30 -0700 (PDT)
    To: womber <womber@gmail.com>

    On Mon, 29 Aug 2005, womber wrote:

    > On 8/29/05, yahoo123456@hushmail.com <yahoo123456@hushmail.com> wrote:
    > > Has anyone examined the idea of using a public hotspot on a local
    > > network to shield BSA, RIAA, MPAA lawsuits? Since the tracking
    > > stops at the public facing IP, who is to say it wasn't some
    > > freeloader downloading the warez?
    > >
    > > Just looking for some feedback on this one...
    >
    > It is an interesting point. I have thought about it myself in the
    > context of having my personal access point open to the public and if
    > someone hopped on and downloaded something. Would I be resposible if
    > they tracked it back to my AP? I am not a legal expert by any means but
    > I would think it would be comparable to someone using my phone to make a
    > harasing call. Although I am not sure how that would be ruled either.

    I am not an attorney and this is not legal advice -- I have heard that
    there is case law supporting that unsecured wireless communication are
    public domain, just as wireless telephone conversations are not considered
    privileged by the Court. If this is the case, then anyone with default
    wireless router settings are a legal public hotspot. If there is an
    attorney on this list I would love to read the actual opinion of this
    (these) alleged case(s). Currently, this information must be considered
    hearsay.

    In the Portland area we have so many WAPs which are open that all we need
    to do is create wireless-bridging/routing points to route packets between
    overlapping wireless networks. In many cases, this wireless MAN would be
    faster point-to-point than going out the Internet and back to its
    destination. Since this MAN would be behind routers for the most part,
    bring your own firewall ;) -- Does anyone know of decent (cheap) low-power
    microcontrollers having 802.11 with I/O >5Mbit which support Linux?

    -Eric

    --
    Eric Wheeler
    Vice President

    • TidBITS#785/27-Jun-05
      ... Jeff Carlson continues his exploration of computerized poker ... and Adam examines both the Canary Wireless ... Rogue Amoeba's Audio Hijack Pro ... A Canary in the Network ...
      (comp.sys.mac.digest)
    • Re: Linksys NAS200 Network Storage adapter
      ... The only two wireless network settings that are of any consequence are the SSID and the encryption method and password. ... either click the "Print Network Settings" button on the final screen of the Wizard or simply access the appropriate XML file and get at them that way and then use the information to configure the router manually as I explained earlier. ... I've read thru some of the MS web site on that product and it appears to do everything a NAS will do plus other cool features, such as, with an xbox360 with the wireless adapter, I can stream my video/pics to my TV for family viewing. ...
    • [NMRC Advisory] Microsoft Windows Wireless Exposure on Laptops
      ... Application: Wireless Network Connection ... This advisory documents an anomaly involving Microsoft's Wireless Network ... If a laptop connects to an ad-hoc network it can later start ... This is known as a Link-Local address, and by default Link-Local is turned on on all Windows platforms on all interfaces, including wireless interfaces. ...
      (Bugtraq)
    • only 1299.99
      ... With the arrival of the Sony Vaio VGN-UX280P Micro PC, ... Advanced Wireless Mobility ... integrates wireless Wide Area Network, ... and check e-mail without having to plug in your Sony Vaio notebook PC, ...
      (comp.periphs.printers)
    • RE: palm VIIx wireless modem
      ... Here is a Wireless LAN Security FAQ, ... What are solutions to minimizing WLAN risk? ... that connects clients to the internal network. ...
      (Security-Basics)