Re: [Full-disclosure] talk.google.com

From: Justin Allen (jallen_at_logicaldevelopments.com.au)
Date: 08/26/05

    Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 09:17:28 +0800
    To: full-disclosure@lists.grok.org.uk

    >From what I have read it seems that Google can only collect personal
    information after asking you, as they say in this sentence: "When we
    require personally identifying information, we will inform you about the
    types of information we collect and how we use it."

    I suggest you read Google's Privacy Policy[1] properly before making any
    more accusations

    [1] http://www.google.com/privacy.html

    Technica Forensis wrote:

    >>I don't understand the big fuss over google talk.
    >>

    >I think the fuss has to do with the 'Privacy' paragraph in the terms of service:
    >"You agree that Google may access or disclose your personal
    >information, including the content of your communications" and
    >"Personal information collected by Google may be stored and processed
    >in the United States or any other country in which Google Inc. or its
    >agents maintain facilities"
    >
    >Google itself is located in 11 locations in U.S. and:
    >Dublin, Ireland
    >London & Manchester, UK
    >Sydney, Australia
    >Toronto & Ontario, Canada
    >Copenhagen, Denmark
    >Paris, France
    >Hamburg, Germany
    >Bangalore & Hyderabad, India
    >Milano, Italy
    >Tokyo, Japan
    >Amsterdam, Netherlands
    >Madrid, Spain
    >Stockholm, Sweden
    >
    >So, anything I say over gTalk will be stored and can be retreived by
    >any of these countries.

    Justin Allen
    Software Developer
    Logical Developments
    Phone: +61 8 9458 3889

    --------------040302010203000902010603
    <head>
      <title></title>
    </head>
    Could you please state where it says: "You agree that Google may access
    or disclose your personal information, including the content of your
    communications" in the privacy policy?<br>
    >From what I have read it seems that Google can only collect personal
    information after asking you, as they say in this sentence:&nbsp; "When we
    require personally identifying information, we will inform you about
    the types of information we collect and how we use it."<br>
    I suggest you read Google's Privacy Policy[1] properly before making
    any more accusations<br>
    [1] <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.google.com/privacy.html">http://www.google.com/privacy.html><br>
    Technica Forensis wrote:
     type="cite">
        <pre wrap="">I don't understand the big fuss over google talk.
        </pre>
      <pre wrap=""><!---->
    I think the fuss has to do with the 'Privacy' paragraph in the terms of service:
    "You agree that Google may access or disclose your personal
    information, including the content of your communications" and
    "Personal information collected by Google may be stored and processed
    in the United States or any other country in which Google Inc. or its
    agents maintain facilities"
    Google itself is located in 11 locations in U.S. and:
    Dublin, Ireland
    London &amp; Manchester, UK
    Sydney, Australia
    Toronto &amp; Ontario, Canada
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Paris, France
    Hamburg, Germany
    Bangalore &amp; Hyderabad, India
    Milano, Italy
    Tokyo, Japan
    Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Madrid, Spain
    Stockholm, Sweden
    So, anything I say over gTalk will be stored and can be retreived by
    any of these countries.
      </pre>
    <title></title>
    <pre>Justin Allen
    Software Developer
    Logical Developments
    Phone: +61 8 9458 3889
    		</pre>
    --------------040302010203000902010603--

    • Risks Digest 24.06
      ... Google, Privacy, and Masochism ... Legal docs expose various risks in routine Diebold maintenance in NC ... Re: Mea culpa: How we got it wrong on CNID ...
      (comp.risks)
    • OT - U.S. Obtains Internet Users Search Records
      ... but the data trove stirs privacy fears. ... government could seek more detailed information later. ... The issue came to light this week only when Google Inc., ... Government lawyers filed a brief in U.S. District Court in San Jose ...
      (sci.med.diseases.hepatitis)
    • U.S. Obtains Internet Users Search Records
      ... but the data trove stirs privacy fears. ... government could seek more detailed information later. ... The issue came to light this week only when Google Inc., ... Government lawyers filed a brief in U.S. District Court in San Jose ...
      (soc.rights.human)
    • Re: [Full-disclosure] talk.google.com
      ... I really don't see why people are so paranoid about this, Google is ... another country knows about where John Doe lives or what he gets up to ... >>Logical Developments ... >>or disclose your personal information, ...
      (Full-Disclosure)