Re: [Full-disclosure] Cisco IOS Shellcode Presentation

Valdis.Kletnieks_at_vt.edu
Date: 08/02/05

    To: jasonc@science.org
    Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 00:14:52 -0400

           The crucial word -------^^^

    > > Kohl's reserves the right to read my email I send my mom just because
    > > it's on the Internet?
    > >
    > > maybe you should go reread the wiretap act.
    >
    > Wiretap Act doesn't apply to stored electronic communications.
    >
    > Kohl's owns all of those communications, whether stored temporarily in
    > RAM or stored persistently to a hard drive.

    Kohl's may indeed have some rights regarding *their* messages. However,
    their disclaimer (hopefully inadvertently) talks about "any" message, not
    just "any Kohl's message"....

    I've seen stupider disclaimers, but this one is right up there..

    Of course, if I were an opposing attorney, this sticking of "may contain
    confidential information" on stuff posted to worldwide public mailing lists
    could be a gold mine - obviously the company has *not a clue* what mail actually
    has such info in it. If obviously public mail has a broken inapplicable
    disclaimer on it, maybe that other piece of mail I want to subpoena that has
    the same exact disclaimer on it isn't in fact privileged either....