Re: [Full-disclosure] <Cisco Message> Mike Lynn's controversial Cisco Security Presentation

From: J.A. Terranson (measl_at_mfn.org)
Date: 07/30/05

    Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 20:51:01 -0500 (CDT)
    To: Jason Coombs <jasonc@science.org>

    On Fri, 29 Jul 2005, Jason Coombs wrote:

    <cutting to the chase>

    > Now, if RC4 had never been used to create a product and had been kept as
    > a trade secret, and that secret had been published, then it would not
    > have become, automatically, an unencumbered algorithm that could be used
    > by anyone with impunity. There being no way other than theft of trade
    > secret for a third party to come to know the algorithm, had a court
    > order been obtained to halt the spread of the secret the algorithm
    > itself could very well have been kept as protectable intellectual
    > property until such time as the company that enjoyed a commercial
    > advantage through preservation of their RC4 trade secret had concluded
    > the public distribution of a product that somebody else could have
    > reverse engineered.

    The problem here is essentially one of mass distribution. There are now
    *millions* of copies of these "secrets" in general circulation. Nobody
    can assert with a straight face that anything about Lynn's presentation is
    not completely and totally within the public view - and irretrievably so.

    --
    Yours,
    J.A. Terranson

    • Re: Windows 2000 Source Code File
      ... A trade secret is a trade ... >> secret only as long as it remains secret. ... > Is the source code not protected under US Copyright law? ... Chances are they will go copyright infringement ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)
    • Re: OT Re: Cherokee Nation Posts Open Source Legisation
      ... >> they protect the trade secret within, but such code is not open source. ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: McLaren - since Ferrari is guilty, if follows we are innocnet?
      ... if you communicated a secret idea to me over the phone, ... So, if I came to America and you volunteered a trade secret, without me knowing that it was protected or asking you to do so, I would be in trouble? ... However, you could read the copy I gave you, or one that was made with my permission, and then copy the process, unless I hold a patent on the process. ... understanding - if you wish to protect an idea, ...
      (rec.autos.sport.f1)
    • Re: [OT] Re: Aho Corasick source code needed, please help
      ... > And thus the fourth category of intellectual property, the trade secret. ... > to reverse engineer a bottle of Coca Cola? ... Cola's "secret formula" is a marketing gimick, not a piece of key IP. ...
      (comp.lang.c)
    • Re: [adacrypt] For Paulo (and anyone else bored enough)
      ... adacrypt's algorithm is firmly in the ... not exceed the array length and that depends on the array the parameter ... Possibly, a large series of parameter sets would be shared in secret, along with the rest of the secret data. ... taken from and corrected for non-ASCII characters. ...
      (sci.crypt)