[Full-disclosure] Great application for the Pinnacle ShowCenter 200

From: edward geraldino (edward_geraldino_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 07/07/05

    To: full-disclosure@lists.grok.org.uk
    Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 16:02:24 +0000

    I just setup a Pluto Home system (smarthome + media server, plutohome.com,
    free open source). It’s really cool. It has a streaming movie server, music
    server, PVR. Plus it does home automation and controls a/v equipment too.
    There’s only 1 problem…

    You designate 1 PC to be the server; they call it the core. It exposes a
    network boot image for any other PC in the house, so your PC becomes dual
    purpose—normal PC, or net boot and it’s a set top box. You control it with
    Bluetooth mobile phones or web pads. And all the set top boxes in the house
    work together. Your media even follows you as you move from room to room if
    you keep the phone on. The problem is I don’t have enough media PCs for all
    the rooms in my house, and buying a full PC for each room is too expensive.
    Plus there’s no video cards for the PC that have component video
    output—which is the only way I can get HDTV into my TV.

    The Pinnacle seems perfect as a media director. Right now, you can’t do a
    lot with it. But if it worked as a media director, it would be part of a
    whole house solution that did everything. I could even use the Pinnacle’s
    menu to turn on my sprinklers if I wanted. Plus, since Pluto gives it a
    network boot image, space is no longer an issue—all the software could be
    stored on the main server. And the ShowCenter 200 has component video and
    it’s silent.

    Does anybody have an idea if it would be possible to use the ShowCenter 200
    as a media director like that, doing a network boot? Then I could just buy a
    few of the Pinnacles rather than having to buy regular PCs.

    • Re: [Full-disclosure] Great application for the Pinnacle ShowCenter 200
      ... Short of the fact that this product is Bluetooth based (which could lead ... > a network boot image for any other PC in the house, ... > top boxes in the house work together. ... Your media even follows you as ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: Media services - cannot connect to media from internet
      ... Well the other thing will be the router on your network will need to ... server, and see where you get from there. ... >The page opens with the embedded media player and the status shows: ... for a short time and then changes to ?Locating media?? ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsmedia)
    • RE: [Full-disclosure] Great application for the Pinnacle ShowCenter 200
      ... ---> I just setup a Pluto Home system (smarthome + media server, ... ---> network boot image for any other PC in the house, ... Your media even follows you as you move from ... And the ShowCenter 200 has ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • RE: Media Service & Firewall
      ... the ''Windows Media Services'' depends on some ... On the SBS 2003 server, ... Windows Media Services from the Internet. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: Media services - cannot connect to media from internet
      ... >publishing points at all. ... >The page opens with the embedded media player and the status shows: ... for a short time and then changes to ?Locating media?? ... >cannot connect to the server. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsmedia)