[Full-disclosure] Tor 0.1.0.6-rc is out

From: Tarapia Tapioco (comesefosse_at_ntani.firenze.linux.it)
Date: 05/16/05

    To: full-disclosure@lists.grok.org.uk
    Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 17:28:38 +0200 (CEST)

    This is the sixth release candidate for the 0.1.0.x series. This is an
    actual release candidate--it's going to be the final release if there
    are no bugs--we promise. :) We fixed the last known major problems:
    we don't use threading on netbsd now, and the new libevent 1.1 detects
    and disables the broken kqueue that ships with OS X 10.4.0.

    Libevent 1.1 also has __significant__ performance improvements if you're
    using poll or select. Try it, you'll like it.

    Please report any bugs, either in the installers or in Tor operation, so
    we can get it perfect for an actual release: http://bugs.noreply.org/tor

    http://tor.eff.org/download.html

      o Bugfixes:
        - Implement --disable-threads configure option. Disable threads on
          netbsd by default, because it appears to have no reentrant resolver
          functions.
        - Apple's OS X 10.4.0 ships with a broken kqueue. The new libevent
          release (1.1) detects and disables kqueue if it's broken.
        - Append default exit policy before checking for implicit internal
          addresses. Now we don't log a bunch of complaints on startup
          when using the default exit policy.
        - Some people were putting "Address " in their torrc, and they had
          a buggy resolver that resolved " " to 0.0.0.0. Oops.
        - If DataDir is ~/.tor, and that expands to /.tor, then default to
          LOCALSTATEDIR/tor instead.
        - Fix fragmented-message bug in TorControl.py.
        - Resolve a minor bug which would prevent unreachable dirports
          from getting suppressed in the published descriptor.
        - When the controller gave us a new descriptor, we weren't resolving
          it immediately, so Tor would think its address was 0.0.0.0 until
          we fetched a new directory.
        - Fix an uppercase/lowercase case error in suppressing a bogus
          libevent warning on some Linuxes.

      o Features:
        - Begin scrubbing sensitive strings from logs by default. Turn off
          the config option SafeLogging if you need to do debugging.
        - Switch to a new buffer management algorithm, which tries to avoid
          reallocing and copying quite as much. In first tests it looks like
          it uses *more* memory on average, but less cpu.
        - First cut at support for "create-fast" cells. Clients can use
          these when extending to their first hop, since the TLS already
          provides forward secrecy and authentication. Not enabled on
          clients yet.
        - When dirservers refuse a router descriptor, we now log its
          contactinfo, platform, and the poster's IP address.
        - Call tor_free_all instead of connections_free_all after forking, to
          save memory on systems that need to fork.
        - Whine at you if you're a server and you don't set your contactinfo.
        - Implement --verify-config command-line option to check if your torrc
          is valid without actually launching Tor.
        - Rewrite address "serifos.exit" to "localhost.serifos.exit"
          rather than just rejecting it.

    • RE: SBS SP1 Install
      ... What did you do to resolve it? ... > MAny thanks will send you logs. ... >> Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... >> This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: SOHO firewall dropping incoming 443 connections - incorrect state
      ... I take it this sample snip of your logs is from a single session? ... The only incoming connection that I allow is an HTTPS port ... Occasionally the firewall seem to just start denying HTTPS ... > There appears several ways to resolve this: ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: Postfix and aliases
      ... name doesn't resolve to an IP address, at least not from where I'm ... Send the full logs for the period in question, ... don't see in the munged logs. ... Did you reload Postfix after the last suggestions? ...
      (Ubuntu)
    • Re: is AVG working?
      ... If you look at the logs attached to my original post, ... Symantec liable for the expense incurred to resolve?) ... >> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. ...