Re: [Full-disclosure] Does anyone know about TCP-Replay attacks?

From: ADT (synfinatic_at_gmail.com)
Date: 03/22/05

    Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 20:45:35 -0800
    To: Vladamir <wireless.insecurity@gmail.com>

    Hey Vladamir,

    You're being a bit vague regarding your question. When people talk
    about "tcp replay" attacks and testing an IDS they're usually asking
    about one of two things:

    1) how to use tcpreplay to test an IDS's detection abilities

    or

    2) About breaking the tcp stream by injecting old/out of order/broken
    packets to try to evade an IDS

    Perhaps you could give some context and better explain what you're
    trying to do? Btw, if you want to learn about how to use tcpreplay,
    there is extensive documentation on the tcpreplay website.

    -ADT

    --
    http://synfin.net/
    On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 23:04:48 -0500, Vladamir
    <wireless.insecurity@gmail.com> wrote:
    > I was looking at that, but thanks!
    >
    > Byron Copeland wrote:
    > > Perhaps this may help?
    > >
    > > http://tcpreplay.sourceforge.net/
    > >
    > > On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 22:54, Vladamir wrote:
    > >
    > >>I'm looking for general information as to how to test an IDS using
    > >>TCP-replays.

    • Re: [Full-disclosure] Does anyone know about TCP-Replay attacks?
      ... Actually I was wondering about the process of a TCP replay attack, ... aware of the program "TCP replay" I was hoping for information on IDS ... Btw, if you want to learn about how to use tcpreplay, ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: Testing IDS with tcpreplay
      ... why is that harder to accomplish with Metasploit than with tcpreplay? ... If you are testing you IDS you'd like to know that it accurately detects ... Also what about attacks that Metasploit ...
      (Focus-IDS)
    • Re: TippingPoint Releases Open Source Code for FirstIntrusionPrev ention Test Tool, Tomahawk
      ... I didn't mean to imply that tcpreplay was not useful, ... some pcaps in front of a device and seeing what it reports. ... > testing of IDS or IPS. ... > Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from ...
      (Focus-IDS)
    • Re: Test scripts for NIDS
      ... If you're using tcpreplay for performance testing, ... >> packets and they are being dropped? ... > the IDS catches everything. ... > increasing speeds until the IDS output changes (usually by failing to detect ...
      (Pen-Test)
    • Re: Testing IDS with tcpreplay
      ... IDS works if you use real attacks with real obfuscation techniques. ... Metasploit is a great tool for this. ... why is that harder to accomplish with Metasploit than with tcpreplay? ...
      (Focus-IDS)