Re: [Full-disclosure] Microsoft GhostBuster Opinions

From: Dave King (davefd_at_davewking.com)
Date: 03/18/05

    Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 08:39:58 -0700
    To: full-disclosure@lists.grok.org.uk

    Ron DuFresne wrote:

    >If the kernel is modified, on a windows or *nix system, you are going to
    >have a clear clue upfront; the system will have rebooted. Course, a
    >failing system that reboots or blue screens every few weeks rather then
    >runs stable unless there is a total power outage or a maint window when such
    >things are done is another problem altogether...
    >
    >Of course, I'm not sure you understand what tripwire is or does, further
    >research might be in order.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Ron DuFresne

        I don't agree that a system reboot is a reliable way to know that
    you have a rootkit. I think anyone who's used Windows enough will agree
    that blue screens are also not a realizable way to determine if you've
    got a rootkit. It doesn't make sense to me to format and reinstall
    every Windows machine that restarts itself at an odd time. However,
    both of these can be signs to tip you off that you should run some
    tests and see what you can find. Like I said, GhostBuster could
    possibly be one tool to help with this.

        About Tripwire, I understand what it does. It basically runs a file
    integrity check on certain files and reports the differences from the
    last (hopefully known good) scan. Say that Tripwire is running on a
    system that's been compromised by a rootkit that's been designed to
    evade file integrity checkers such as tripwire. Since the rootkit has
    control of the kernel it has control of all the low level functions,
    like returning a file when asked for one. So one way to evade tripwire
    would be to return the real file when asked for it in read-only mode and
    return the rootkit file when asked for it in execution mode. That way
    tripwire won't think the file has changed, since it's being given the
    same file as it checked before, but when the file is executed then it's
    the malicious file.

    Laters,
    Dave King
    http://www.thesecure.net

    • Re: noob question about the CVE-2010-3081 exploit
      ... it has been told to monitor changes. ... One is where the rootkit runs only in memory. ... hide from tripwire if tripwire does not scan the directory where it resides. ... database to pick up added/changed files, restore snapshot of logs to ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)
    • RE: tripwire failed???
      ... It uses a client server architecture for the deployment of scanning agents ... Subject: tripwire failed??? ... The rootkit is a way to REMAIN in, not a way to get entry. ... with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT. ...
      (Focus-IDS)
    • Re: tripwire failed???
      ... You should also hunt for the way IN, otherwise you will never shut out ... The rootkit is a way to REMAIN in, not a way to get entry. ... How are you running tripwire, ... with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT. ...
      (Focus-IDS)
    • RE: [Full-disclosure] Microsoft GhostBuster Opinions
      ... > runs a file integrity check on certain files and reports the ... > by a rootkit that's been designed to evade file integrity ... > checkers such as tripwire. ... new Microsoft products uses, but as people have stated, this can be done ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: noob question about the CVE-2010-3081 exploit
      ... TripWire can tell you when any file/directory ... it has been told to monitor changes. ... One is where the rootkit runs only in memory. ... database to pick up added/changed files, restore snapshot of logs to ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)