[Full-Disclosure] GAIM exploit

From: Randall Perry (lists_at_domain-logic.com)
Date: 02/24/05

    Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 17:02:07 -0500
    To: full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com

    Platform: Windows (tested only on XP and 2000, might impact others)
    Application: GAIM v1.1.3
    Synopsis: Cause remote crash of GAIM client.
    Scenario:

    By sending a file to another GAIM user, you can cause their GAIM client
    to crash and completely close GAIM down.

    Simply send a file to someone with parenthesis in it, and it will crash
    when they accept the download (the download does not even begin, it just
    crashes).

    Example: filename of gaim1.1(windows).exe
    will cause it to crash.

    I am still playing with the debug version of GAIM, and having just run
    through GTK updates to 2.4 I do not have time to digest and post those.
    So far, it looks like it has to do with libglib-2.0-0.dll
    I am following up with a post to GAIM developers with a complete report.

    http://www.domain-logic.com/

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • [Full-Disclosure] [ GLSA 200410-23 ] Gaim: Multiple vulnerabilities
      ... Gaim is a full featured instant messaging client which handls a variety ... resulting in the crash of the application. ... A remote attacker could crash Gaim and possibly execute arbitrary code ... Gaim Security Issues ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • [ GLSA 200410-23 ] Gaim: Multiple vulnerabilities
      ... Gaim is a full featured instant messaging client which handls a variety ... resulting in the crash of the application. ... A remote attacker could crash Gaim and possibly execute arbitrary code ... Gaim Security Issues ...
      (Bugtraq)
    • [ GLSA 200410-23 ] Gaim: Multiple vulnerabilities
      ... Gaim is a full featured instant messaging client which handls a variety ... resulting in the crash of the application. ... A remote attacker could crash Gaim and possibly execute arbitrary code ... Gaim Security Issues ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • [opensuse] pidgin for 10.2?
      ... Does anyone know if there are any plans to backport it for 10.2 and/or ... I only ask because I've had gaim shut down (*not* crash, ...
      (SuSE)
    • RE: [Full-Disclosure] GAIM exploit