Re: [Full-Disclosure] Possible DNS compromise/poisoning?

From: Ben McGinnes (ben_at_adversary.org)
Date: 01/07/05

    Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 17:59:25 +1100
    To: nicholasnam@hush.com

    nicholasnam@hush.com(nicholasnam@hush.com)@Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 06:45:08AM -0800:

    > Notice that www.microsoft.com is a cname for
    > www.microsoft.com.nsatc.net. It's not limited to www.microsoft.com
    > and to the best of my knowledge the correct web content is
    > displayed.

    Microsoft used to have their site hosted/distributed by Akamai, but
    encountered a lot of negative press when that made them appear to be
    hosted on Linux (which is what Akamai uses). It seems they've chosen
    to get around this by shifting their site to a distributed hosting
    company which deploys a Windows solution.

    Regards,
    Ben

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • Re: Does Microsoft use Unix/Apache for THEIR security
      ... And you are looking at an edge-caching server, ... by Akamai. ... > that already exist but which would cost a lot less to Microsoft (because ... > the service contracts to many customers and can distribute their costs ...
      (microsoft.public.security)
    • Re: Tom Shelton...
      ... | company OWNED by Microsoft? ... Akamai is a hosting service. ... I actually block Akamai in my HOSTS file. ... to mainly deal with ads, ...
    • Re: XP has no significant bugs that any significant number of users want fixed
      ... That would be rather easy to do, except for the fact that Microsoft ... Akamai defends Microsoft against distributed denial- ... Akamai runs only on Linux. ... Apache to run most of it's websites, but those website are protected by ...
      (sci.electronics.design)
    • Re: Undetectable Trojan?
      ... > connects to AKAMAI servers...... ... Perhaps they might be able to do something about Microsoft;-) ... I have this mental picture of a large box at FBI headquaters labeled ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)