[Full-Disclosure] Re: Linux kernel scm_send local DoS

From: even multiplexed (Shadow333_at_gmx.at)
Date: 12/15/04

    Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 13:52:22 +0100
    To: Paul Starzetz <ihaquer@isec.pl>

    Paul Starzetz wrote:

    >On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, even multiplexed wrote:
    >

    >>attention.i just wanted to ask if anyone has a tip for me how to
    >>quickfix this bug, without actually rebuilding a patched version of the
    >>kernel.
    >>

    >I don't think this is practicable, since the bugs reside in deep kernel
    >functions. You can not fix it just by disabling a particular syscall. You
    >have patch a running kernel binary, maybe someone comes up with this kind
    >of utlility.

    well, i was also examining the igmp exploit you posted earlier, that one
    was relatively easy to disable, by setting the following sysctl vars:

    net.ipv4.igmp_max_msf = 0
    net.ipv4.igmp_max_memberships = 0
    net.ipv4.icmp_ignore_bogus_error_responses = 1

    since i dont really need igmp support on that server=)

    its just that scm_send thing, that i didnt find any config option for...
    so i guess that means either waiting till someone of the kernel
    maintainers release a patch, or get one of my friends, that is better on
    programming tasks, to fix that one...
    all at all makes for quite a risky day for a shell provider...
    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html