[Full-Disclosure] Old LS Trojan?

From: David S. Morgan (captkras_at_earthlink.net)
Date: 12/01/04

    To: full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com
    Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 15:11:46 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

    Hey all,

    I am looking for an old LS trojan, with trojan being a misnomer. Essentially, the scinario is that the admin (root) has a . (dot) in his path. The bad-user knows this, and has crafted an LS shell script (the part that I can't find) that essentially copies /sbin/sh to a hidden directory and then performs some suid majik to make the sh run as if they were root, without needing the root password. The file then removes itself and does the real version of ls.

    Does anyone remember this one, and have the ls script anywhere? I would like to use it in a demonstration. I know that this has probobly been fixed in various ways, but I have "old Unixes" for just such occasions.

    Dave Morgan

    David S. Morgan CISSP, CCNP
    aka: captkras@earthlink.net

    "When the winds of change blow hard enough, even the most tiny object
    can become a deadly projectile"

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html