RE: [Full-Disclosure] Is www.sco.com hacked Ethical?

From: Clairmont, Jan M (jan.m.clairmont_at_citigroup.com)
Date: 11/29/04

    To: <full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com>
    Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 10:11:38 -0500

    This bodes well for the Cyberguard Stock which depends on
    SCO UNIX as it's engine for the firewall. Well again a prank,
    as such, but this helps destroy the reputation of many companies.

    The person(s) if and when they're found and they will be(sociopath), feels no
    responsibility. Ok well, how was this an ethical attack? It attacks
    the stock holders, people who work for the companies affected and the persons
    responsible deserve whatever legal recourse the company has when they find this clown(s).

    It is rather amusing, as was the RSA web attack, CIA etc. but the broader
    implications are that the companies involved are a security risk, though
    they are not, they will be perceived as one.

    Again, I don't agree with SCO and their lawsuits, though some of them
    may have some basis for patent or copyright infringement. I do believe they give
    a useful alternative for UNIX. For certain smaller companies they provide a valuable service to
    the community. This will only help put a nail in the coffin in a struggling company that does
    provide an alternative. I have no SCO stock, ok. I do believe the alternatives are needed to
    check the megaliths like our friendly M$, Apple and others.

    Oh well the fun continues in the absurd world of data security or insecurity. And how did they hack it
    did someone just leave the permissions on the files open or some other mischief. Anyone have a
    clue on this? Or was a DNS redirection?

    Paladin of Security, of the Department of Insecurity Department of Security Department.

    Jan Clairmont
    Firewall Administrator/Consultant