Re: [Full-Disclosure] To anybody who's offended by my disclosure policy

From: kf_lists (kf_lists_at_secnetops.com)
Date: 11/27/04

    To: Berend-Jan Wever <skylined@edup.tudelft.nl>
    Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 22:26:07 -0500

    Berend-Jan Wever wrote:

    >My disclosure policy:
    >Most vendors treat "hackers" like free beta-testers that they can put the blame on when publicity goes bad.

    Not only that ... some of the vendors even try to make you pay for a
    support contract before you can report a security vulnerability. As a
    researcher I can certainly understand his frustration with trying to
    report a bug... sometimes it just gets to ya and you just don't give a
    flying whoot.

    Vendors want the researchers to be the scape goat when a vulnerability
    is found... standard procedure is: 1. Brush under the rug. 2. Try to
    make the researcher look like a horrible person. 3. Downplay the
    vulnerability.

    Stop trying to kill the messenger. Start holding your vendors
    accountable! Give guys like Skylined a break... hes doing you a favor.

    GOBBLE, GOBBLE. Happy Turkey Day!
    -KF

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html