Re: [Full-Disclosure] Why is IRC still around?

From: hutuworm (hutuworm_at_gmail.com)
Date: 11/21/04

    To: Danny <nocmonkey@gmail.com>
    Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 11:14:32 +0800

    IRC is a tool/channel to exchange messages, just like mailing lists,
    web forums, instant messengers and etc. If there's no IRC, hackers or
    who has the same ideas would also find other channels to found groups,
    as you joined the Full-Disclosure mailing list. :P

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 12:40:26 -0500, Danny <nocmonkey@gmail.com> wrote:
    > Well, it sure does help the anti-virus (anti-malware) and security
    > consulting business, but besides that... is it not safe to say that:
    >
    > 1) A hell of a lot of viruses/worms/trojans use IRC to wreck further havoc?
    > 2) A considerable amount of "script kiddies" originate and grow through IRC?
    > 3) A wee bit of software piracy occurs?
    > 4) That many organized DoS attacks through PC zombies are initiated through IRC?
    > 5) The anonymity of the whole thing helps to foster all the illegal
    > and malicious activity that occurs?
    > The list goes on and on...
    >
    > Sorry to offend those that use IRC legitimately (LOL - find something
    > else to chat with your buddies), but why the hell are we not pushing
    > to sunset IRC?
    >
    > What would IT be like today without IRC (or the like)? Am I narrow
    > minded to say that it would be a much safer place?
    >
    > ...D

    > Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    > Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • Re: IRC?
      ... make the developers more accessible to users who find the mailing lists ... maintains a reliable presence on IRC is the DRM subsystem (i.e. Dave ... Archiving all of a IRC channel continuously locally is not so easy -:( ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: IRC?
      ... make the developers more accessible to users who find the mailing lists ... maintains a reliable presence on IRC is the DRM subsystem (i.e. Dave ... Archiving all of a IRC channel continuously locally is not so easy -:( ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: if only life actually worked this way..
      ... This has been plastered all over IRC, LJ and mailing lists for the last ... It was barely funny the first time, ...
      (alt.sysadmin.recovery)
    • Re: IRC?
      ... make the developers more accessible to users who find the mailing lists ... maintains a reliable presence on IRC is the DRM subsystem (i.e. Dave ... Archiving all of a IRC channel continuously locally is not so easy -:( ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: Paradox Day report
      ... The only thing I've heard about IRC, other than teenagers using it to ... chat, is that hackers use it to control bots. ...
      (comp.databases.paradox)