Re: [Full-Disclosure] Why is IRC still around?

From: stephane nasdrovisky (stephane.nasdrovisky_at_paradigmo.com)
Date: 11/20/04

    To: full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com
    Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 16:45:51 +0100

    Micheal Espinola Jr wrote:

    >Is SMTP bad? Yes.
    >
    >Why? Because they are simple and basic protocol implementations

    Are or were ? smtp supports tls for example (I dropped irc because I
    have very little knowledge about it).

    >Not that they aren't efficient and easy, but
    >they certainly have their shortcomings in terms of security and AAA.

    smtp supports both plaintext (login/password) and tls/certificate
    authentications. Configuration is not a technology issue but a sysadmin
    issue.

    >We need to move forward with technology. Or would you rather be like
    >Microsoft - and attempt to be backward compatible for all-time - and
    >continue to use products that have fundamental flaws in them?

    smtp is backward compatible with fossile like technology (sendmail comes
    to mind as it have a 'good' bugs record) but also 21th century
    technology aware (s/mime, tls).
    Much could be said against protocols such as rpc, ftp, telnet, iiop,
    http, ... but some/most of them are also supporting some somewhat new
    technology (encryption, authentication, ...) some of them do not add
    much value when used over the internet (rpc comes to mind) these are
    more lan protocols.
    Microsoft don't try to be backward compatible: w2k is not backward
    compatible with nt or dos, even xp sp2 is not backward compatible with
    xp sp1:-)

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • Re: Error when trying to create a SMTP Connector
      ... You may be missing the snapin for smtp under protocols as ... by adding each snapin then saving this console to a file for later use. ... > message from the Exchange System Manager: ...
      (microsoft.public.exchange2000.protocols)
    • OT: Re: Recipient validation - WAS: Re: Moderated posts?
      ... Turns out that SMTP WAS/IS intended to be reliable. ... When the receiver-SMTP accepts a piece of mail (by sending a "250 OK" ... Still, the current "standard" e-mail protocols were never meant to be either reliable or secure, and their is a very good reason for that. ... It closes the connection with a response code. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: How to send Lotus Notes Email Via C#
      ... Domino mail servers support SMTP, POP3, IMAP and MIME. ... so any of the send protocols should be accepted. ...
    • Re: exchange behind ISA
      ... I feel that SMTP in particular is a fairly well defined ... amazed at the difference after I set up the SMTP filter... ... Or just for MS ISA ... >> does not operate as a proxy for those protocols. ...
      (microsoft.public.isa)
    • Re: Sendmail Setup
      ... sendmail is a mail transfer agent, and supports protocols to transfer mail between hosts. ... Most typical is smtp, it will support uucp as well, and some other protocols I don't remember. ... There are many programs which will provide pop3 and imap service which work seamlessly with sendmail. ...
      (comp.os.linux.setup)