Re: [Full-Disclosure] Why is IRC still around?

From: Tim (tim-security_at_sentinelchicken.org)
Date: 11/19/04

    To: Danny <nocmonkey@gmail.com>
    Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 17:10:13 -0500

    > My mistake; I was referring to the discussion, collaboration, and
    > creation, not the spread.

    You mentioned DDoS attacks below. I don't believe that use is a form of
    discussion, collaboration, or creation.

    > Some say we should, but I am not one of those. My point was to get rid
    > of the most well established tool (and easiest to use) for these types
    > of activities.

    Any tool can be used by anyone for good or evil. If one knows the
    kiddies are all hanging out on IRC, then you can get a lot of good info
    about what their new attacks are by loitering on their channels.

    > What's the difference? IRC is so well established for the type of
    > activity I am referring to.

    As it is established for many productive things. Ever check out
    freenode?

    > I'll leave the piracy battle for someone else - I just mentioned it as
    > a part of the problem.

    If you aren't prepared to defend it on this list, better not mention it.
    =)

    > Sure netcat is an alternative, but which one is easier to use?

    Um... netcat, or raw tcp sockets. I would argue it is easier to write
    something that just opens a connection, and listens for commands to come
    back, than something that has to speak IRC. Speaking IRC has its own
    advantages, but in the absence of it, it is still trivial to manage a
    bot net.

    > I thought I would throw out the idea. If you want to call me a troll,
    > then so be it, but don't get your panties in a knot over the whole
    > thing

    Pardon my harsh reply. It wasn't personal, and is directed only at your
    reasoning. It is a similar reasoning that leads to the slippery slope
    toward censorship.

    tim

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • Re: [Full-Disclosure] Why is IRC still around?
      ... > You mentioned DDoS attacks below. ... > discussion, collaboration, or creation. ... > kiddies are all hanging out on IRC, then you can get a lot of good info ... It is a similar reasoning that leads to the slippery slope ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: Sumerian culture,faith,history.
      ... as a result of lots of gods playing around. ... It was the creation of the ... "Genesis story" as referring to creation. ... in the OT where it is a judgement on mankind. ...
      (soc.religion.christian)
    • Re: go android apps (torrents)
      ... so you agree you've been talking nonsense claiming that copyright is justified simply because there is labor involved in the creation of any particular result that can be shared in digital form online? ... Of course, you cowardly cut the post you're referring to, it's hard to say what the ...
      (rec.games.go)
    • Re: Anybody got a line on some OXY???
      ... Hmmmmm.....a collaboration perhaps? ... a tribute to her great service. ... You won't get that reference William, but it's a referring to a certain ...
      (alt.support.chronic-pain)
    • Re: The Big Bang Theory
      ... this theory being the beginning of creation. ... GOD SAID HE CREATED IT WITH HIS WORDS (PLEASE READ THE ... two creations you are referring to. ... If your bible does not contradict itself please let us know what bible ...
      (talk.origins)