Re: [ GLSA 200411-01 ] ppp: Remote denial of service vulnerability

From: Paul Mackerras (paulus_at_samba.org)
Date: 11/02/04

    Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 10:12:30 +1100
    To: Luke Macken <lewk@gentoo.org>

    Luke Macken writes:

    > The pppd server improperly verifies header fields, making it vulnerable
    > to denial of service attacks.
    >
    > Impact
    > ======
    >
    > An attacker can cause the pppd server to access memory that it isn't
    > allowed to, causing the server to crash. No code execution is possible
    > with this vulnerability, because no data is getting copied.

    Furthermore, only the connection to the attacker will be affected,
    since a separate pppd process handles each ppp connection. In other
    words, an attacker can terminate their own connection, but they can
    not affect any other connection, or prevent new connections from being
    established. Given that, I don't think that this is even a DoS
    vulnerability.

    Paul.