Re: [Full-Disclosure] Spam sent via spambots?

From: GuidoZ (uberguidoz_at_gmail.com)
Date: 11/01/04

    To: "J.A. Terranson" <measl@mfn.org>
    Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 20:30:06 -0500

    > > And further, does anyone have any idea how to pick apart how much of
    > > that is simply relaying type activity vs.dedicated spam-bot activity?
    >
    > Does it matter?

    Personally, I think it matters quite a bit. If the current laws are
    ever enforced, it could shape the way spammers operate. Instead of
    facing the concequences of your actions, you take over a few machines
    and get away with it. Or once caught, you play dumb... even though you
    knew all along what the systems were being used for.

    As I'm sure you're aware, groups of zombie machines are used for a
    handful of different things. Everything from DDoS attacks to the topic
    at hand. These groups are frequently "rented out" to do the dirty
    work. It's become so much of a problem that the media is picking up on
    it. It's been reported in the news and various forums several times. A
    few sample articles: (Google for more)
     - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=35825
     - http://www.shortnews.com/shownews.cfm?id=40747
     - http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/top/story/0,4136,67698,00.html

    Point being - knowing how much spam is bot-nets and how much is
    "legit" (as in the sender is aware they are sending it) would be good
    information to know. It may help enforcement of current laws or shape
    new ones. Having a grasp on, or some understanding of, the problem is
    the first step to solving it, don't you agree?

    Obviously laws and enforcement isn't the only means. It's obviously
    not done much to help so far; plus you have the added problems of who
    enforces what laws where. Check http://www.spamlaws.com/ for more info
    on your local area (worldwide).

    (P.S. Removed your email address from the "Reply All" as requested
    Nick. Hopefully this will serve as a reminder to others that you
    prefer not to receive duplicates.)

    --
    Peace. ~G
    On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 18:22:36 -0600 (CST), J.A. Terranson <measl@mfn.org> wrote:

    > On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Nick FitzGerald wrote:
    >
    > > In another thread Hugo van der Kooij wrote:
    > >
    > > > Securing every machine on the internet would be a good start. 95% of all
    > > > spam messages I have seen lately gets send from DSL or Cable IP addresses.
    > > > These are machine which run spamware without the user knowing (s)he is
    > > > sending out spam by the buckets untill their ISP shuts them down.
    > >
    > > Really?
    > >
    > > 95%?
    > >
    > > Does anyone have sound statistics on how much spam comes from DSL/Cable
    > > IP-space?
    >
    > We see at minimum, several thousand a day, and while I can't give you a
    > statistic, I can state with great confidence that the vast majority,
    > likely a lot higher than 95%, comes from zombied machines, almost all on
    > DSL/Cable space.
    >
    > > And further, does anyone have any idea how to pick apart how much of
    > > that is simply relaying type activity vs.dedicated spam-bot activity?
    >
    > Does it matter?
    >
    > --
    > Yours,
    >
    > J.A. Terranson
    > sysadmin@mfn.org
    > 0xBD4A95BF
    >
    >         "An ill wind is stalking
    >         while evil stars whir
    >         and all the gold apples
    >         go bad to the core"
    >
    >         S. Plath, Temper of Time

    > Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    > Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • Re: *sigh*
      ... I point to the Tacoma-area gun shop that had a ... > we're supposed to eliminate civil actions to compel enforcement? ... Read the legislation for yourself, ... > lax, but sadly typical, enforcement of gun laws there). ...
      (talk.origins)
    • Re: Dangers of pushing copyright law.
      ... > Enforcement has nothing to do with the law itself. ... If a country does not provide for defense of its constitutional ... military forces of another country and not have its laws anymore. ... As for toleration, it's a fact that legal qualities would need to find ...
      (rec.games.go)
    • Re: [OT] but concerns all of us
      ... Laws to protect copyrighted or patented goods certainly exist. ... vehicle must process the proper tags and documentation to be operated on ... The operator of said vehicle must also process proper ... yes I believe in strict enforcement of laws ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: *sigh*
      ... I point to the Tacoma-area gun shop that had a ... we're supposed to eliminate civil actions to compel enforcement? ... Read the legislation for yourself, ... lax, but sadly typical, enforcement of gun laws there). ...
      (talk.origins)
    • Re: [OT] but concerns all of us
      ... Laws to protect copyrighted or patented goods certainly exist. ... If there are problems with enforcement, ... bills; they're poorly conceived bills. ... because its executives and legal staff believe it will legally force them ...
      (freebsd-questions)