Re: [Full-Disclosure] Will a vote for John Kerry be counted by a Hart InterCivic eSlate3000 in Honolulu?

Bart.Lansing_at_kohls.com
Date: 10/21/04

    To: "Jason Coombs PivX Solutions" <jasonc@science.org>
    Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 09:29:11 -0500

    Jason, I have a rather direct question: Given what you know...and what
    you wrote....why in blazes did you cast your vote electronically?

    Bart Lansing
    Manager, Desktop Services/Lotus Notes
    Kohl's IT

    full-disclosure-admin@lists.netsys.com wrote on 10/20/2004 08:24:59 PM:

> [...]
    > 2004 election, they were being used anyway.
    >
    > Will my vote be counted? That depends on a number of unknowns, such
    > as whether or not the unit on which my vote was cast subsequently
    > malfunctions, rendering the entire vote tabulating memory card corrupt.
    >
    > I did not receive a paper printout following the submission of my
    > electronic ballot.
    >
    > Excluding the obvious possibility that fraud may occur, either to
    > stuff the electronic 'ballot box' with false votes, or to
    > intentionally destroy or fail to count votes for a particular
    > candidate, there are risks inherent to electronic voting that do not
    > exist in the same way with paper ballots. And although there are
    > technical safeguards possible that seem like common sense, these
    > safeguards continue to be ignored. Why?
    >
    > Will we ever see common sense safeguards added to the electronic
    > voting process?
    >
    > A search for known security vulnerabilities or potential flaws in
    > voting equipment manufactured and sold by Hart InterCivic turns up:
    >
    > http://www.conspiracyplanet.com/channel.cfm?channelid=31&contentid=1570
    >
    > Prior to casting my vote, I provided a written 'application' to vote
    > containing my current address and other contact information.
    > Election officials have every bit of information necessary to inform
    > me in the event of a memory card failure or other malfunction that
    > causes my electronic vote not to be counted properly.
    >
    > We know the very equipment that I just used to cast my vote has
    > malfunctioned in the past. There have never been any reports that
    > any voter has ever been allowed to revote following the loss of
    > their electronic vote database record. Why not?
    >
    > I find it absurd that common sense solutions to electronic voting
    > problems are not being used. The vote I just cast could be made
    > available for my anonymous review after it has been counted. For
    > that matter, all votes made by all voters could be aggregated and
    > published such that any voter could confirm that the vote that was
    > counted was in fact the vote that they cast.
    >
    > Such a safeguard would ensure that no fraud could occur without
    > timely detection by those voters who are directly affected, and no
    > vote would go uncounted or be miscounted by mistake unless voters
    > choose not to perform such data validation.
    >
    > If we're going to allow these electronic voting devices in our
    > elections, then we the people must be empowered to become the all
    > volunteer quality assurance army that validates the data output.
    >
    > Reasonable people can live with the necessity to trust election
    > officials to be honest, and the criminal justice procedures to hold
    > them accountable when they are not, but who are we supposed to hold
    > accountable when equipment failures and flawed computer disaster
    > recovery planning result in the secret exclusion of members of the
    > public from access to their right to vote?
    >
    > If anyone has any further information about Hart InterCivic and the

    CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
    This is a transmission from Kohl's Department Stores, Inc.
    and may contain information which is confidential and proprietary.
    If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, copying or distribution or use of the contents of this message is expressly prohibited.
    If you have received this transmission in error, please destroy it and notify us immediately at 262-703-7000.

    CAUTION:
    Internet and e-mail communications are Kohl's property and Kohl's reserves the right to retrieve and read any message created, sent and received. Kohl's reserves the right to monitor messages by authorized Kohl's Associates at any time
    without any further consent.

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • Re: [Full-Disclosure] Will a vote for John Kerry be counted by a Hart InterCivic eSlate3000 in Honol
      ... > whether or not the unit on which my vote was cast subsequently ... > electronic voting that do not exist in the same way with paper ballots. ... these safeguards continue to be ignored. ... > by all voters could be aggregated and published such that any voter could ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: OT: UKIP down (sort of)
      ... of a local MP by less than 50% of those who cast a vote. ... effectively be a lower limit to gain any representation, ... The Tory turkeys will never vote for Xmas, and Labour would revert to FPTP if they thought it was going to give them back the prospect of an overall majority. ... The comparative surge in LD support might carry through to the next election (I suspect it might collapse if we get a minority Tory government and a quick re-run). ...
      (uk.rec.motorcycles)
    • Re: [Full-Disclosure] Will a vote for John Kerry be counted by a Hart InterCivic eSlate3000 in Honol
      ... But, it's your vote, you can vote for anyone that you wish, I'll defend ... My vote will be PROUDLY cast for Bush, just like it was 4 years ago. ... electronic voting that do not exist in the same way with paper ballots. ... by all voters could be aggregated and published such that any voter could ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: [Full-Disclosure] Will a vote for John Kerry be counted by a Hart InterCivic eSlate3000 in Honol
      ... > But, it's your vote, you can vote for anyone that you wish, I'll ... > My vote will be PROUDLY cast for Bush, just like it was 4 years ago. ... > voting electronically that the electronic voting machines weren't ... > detection by those voters who are directly affected, ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: Local Authority Byelection Results: Thursday 14th February 2008
      ... If one voter is allowed to cast two or more votes (exemplified by being ... his vote should count for that candidate. ... round two: ... All voters get the opportunity to vote in both rounds; ...
      (uk.politics.electoral)