Re: [Full-Disclosure] Will a vote for John Kerry be counted by a Hart InterCivic eSlate3000 in Honolulu?

From: defiance (seclists_at_stratitec.com)
Date: 10/21/04

    To: full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com
    Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 09:04:42 -0500

    So why did you put yourself at risk and use it? You had a choice didn't you?

    defiance

    On Wednesday 20 October 2004 8:24 pm, Jason Coombs PivX Solutions wrote:
    > I just voted for John Kerry at a walk-in absentee ballot polling place in
    > Honolulu County using an eSlate3000 (unit serial number A05A0B) made by
    > Hart Intercivic: http://www.hartintercivic.com
    >
    > I was told by the official who gave me the choice of voting on paper or
    > voting electronically that the electronic voting machines weren't supposed
    > to be here yet, but that since they arrived in time for the 2004 election,
    > they were being used anyway.
    >
    > Will my vote be counted? That depends on a number of unknowns, such as
    > whether or not the unit on which my vote was cast subsequently
    > malfunctions, rendering the entire vote tabulating memory card corrupt.
    >
    > I did not receive a paper printout following the submission of my
    > electronic ballot.
    >
    > Excluding the obvious possibility that fraud may occur, either to stuff the
    > electronic 'ballot box' with false votes, or to intentionally destroy or
    > fail to count votes for a particular candidate, there are risks inherent to
    > electronic voting that do not exist in the same way with paper ballots. And
    > although there are technical safeguards possible that seem like common
    > sense, these safeguards continue to be ignored. Why?
    >
    > Will we ever see common sense safeguards added to the electronic voting
    > process?
    >
    > A search for known security vulnerabilities or potential flaws in voting
    > equipment manufactured and sold by Hart InterCivic turns up:
    >
    > http://www.conspiracyplanet.com/channel.cfm?channelid=31&contentid=1570
    >
    > Prior to casting my vote, I provided a written 'application' to vote
    > containing my current address and other contact information. Election
    > officials have every bit of information necessary to inform me in the event
    > of a memory card failure or other malfunction that causes my electronic
    > vote not to be counted properly.
    >
    > We know the very equipment that I just used to cast my vote has
    > malfunctioned in the past. There have never been any reports that any voter
    > has ever been allowed to revote following the loss of their electronic vote
    > database record. Why not?
    >
    > I find it absurd that common sense solutions to electronic voting problems
    > are not being used. The vote I just cast could be made available for my
    > anonymous review after it has been counted. For that matter, all votes made
    > by all voters could be aggregated and published such that any voter could
    > confirm that the vote that was counted was in fact the vote that they cast.
    >
    > Such a safeguard would ensure that no fraud could occur without timely
    > detection by those voters who are directly affected, and no vote would go
    > uncounted or be miscounted by mistake unless voters choose not to perform
    > such data validation.
    >
    > If we're going to allow these electronic voting devices in our elections,
    > then we the people must be empowered to become the all volunteer quality
    > assurance army that validates the data output.

> [...]

      ... > But, it's your vote, you can vote for anyone that you wish, I'll ... > My vote will be PROUDLY cast for Bush, just like it was 4 years ago. ... > voting electronically that the electronic voting machines weren't ... > detection by those voters who are directly affected, ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Why doesnt the GOP want Ohios voting machines tested?
      ... Ohio Republicans have blocked a proposal to test electronic voting machines ... By a 4-3 vote, Republicans on Ohio's State Controlling Board blocked ...
      (misc.survivalism)
    • [Full-Disclosure] Will a vote for John Kerry be counted by a Hart InterCivic eSlate3000 in Honolulu?
      ... I was told by the official who gave me the choice of voting on paper or voting electronically that the electronic voting machines weren't supposed to be here yet, but that since they arrived in time for the 2004 election, they were being used anyway. ... That depends on a number of unknowns, such as whether or not the unit on which my vote was cast subsequently malfunctions, rendering the entire vote tabulating memory card corrupt. ... Such a safeguard would ensure that no fraud could occur without timely detection by those voters who are directly affected, and no vote would go uncounted or be miscounted by mistake unless voters choose not to perform such data validation. ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: ID card anyone?
      ... irregularities in the vote (not someone voting for a certain party, ... argument against electronic voting is that it would be a very simple ... for which people are entitled to vote with the same secrecy and privacy as any other party. ... piles for later analysis and having talked about the *secret* ballot with a supervising officer I know that any votes for *suspect* parties are reconciled against the voters list for further follow-up. ...
      (uk.rec.scouting)
    • Re: [Full-Disclosure] Will a vote for John Kerry be counted by a HartInterCivic eSlate3000 in Honolu
      ... you wrote....why in blazes did you cast your vote electronically? ... > or voting electronically that the electronic voting machines weren't ... > as whether or not the unit on which my vote was cast subsequently ... > timely detection by those voters who are directly affected, ...
      (Full-Disclosure)