Re: [Full-Disclosure] Re: Any update on SSH brute force attempts?

From: Barrie Dempster (barrie_at_reboot-robot.net)
Date: 10/18/04

    To: full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com
    Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 14:24:25 +0100

    On Mon, 2004-10-18 at 06:41 -0500, Ron DuFresne wrote:
    > Why not just disallow root logins directly, and force someone with a valid
    > user account to su after getting a shell? It was my impression that was
    > more standard, and if one has to allow remote root directly, at least
    > restrict it to specific systems and users. All the places I have worked
    > for forced the su after shell to root..

    I'm in agreement with this, as well as combining this with use of sudo
    for common functions requiring root privs (such as using tools requiring
    raw socks support for instance) meaning you rarely have to become root
    and the root account becomes slightly more difficult to compromise.

    --
    Barrie Dempster (zeedo) - Fortiter et Strenue
      http://www.bsrf.org.uk

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • running programs from user acctount as root
      ... I have recently upgraded from FC6 to Fedora ... So then after several package updates & the total struggle of getting DVD, ... that require root access from my user account. ...
      (Fedora)
    • RE: unable to login as user
      ... unable to login as user ... Log in as root and look closely at the user account. ... the system just seems to hang and then go back to the username ...
      (RedHat)
    • Re: unautherized access to unix systems?
      ... > programs, which are not visible from outside, can often have holes. ... > root runs ls and happens to have. ... It does not matter how good a cracker with a user account is it all depends ...
      (comp.security.unix)
    • Re: which PC
      ... And this is a compliment aimed at Randall, ... us all exactly how an "Average User" in OS X who needs system Root ... User account was created in the standard fashion (eg, ... (eg, System Preferences) ...
      (rec.photo.digital)
    • Re: [SLE] changing the roots shell
      ... > primarily in a user account - much safer. ... I change to root only as need to issue ... administrative commands. ... shell is mandatory. ...
      (SuSE)