Re: [Full-Disclosure] Google Desktop Search

From: Mary Landesman (mlande_at_bellsouth.net)
Date: 10/15/04

    To: <full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com>
    Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 11:34:51 -0400

    From their privacy policy:

    -------------------------------
    Your copy of Google Desktop Search includes a unique application number.
    When you install Google Desktop Search, this number and a message indicating
    whether the installation succeeded is sent back to Google so that we can
    make the software work better. Additionally, when Google Desktop Search
    automatically checks to see if a new version is available, the current
    version number and the unique application number are sent to Google. If you
    choose to send us non-personal information about your use of Google Desktop
    Search, the unique application number with this non-personal information
    also helps us understand how you use Google Desktop Search so that we can
    make it work better. The unique application number is required for Google
    Desktop Search to work and cannot be disabled.

    >> The unique application number is required for Google Desktop Search to
    work and cannot be disabled. <<

    I have to wonder why that is.

    -- Mary