Re: [Full-Disclosure] FDA Approves Use of Chip in Patients ? HIPAA woes?

From: Simon Richter (Simon.Richter_at_hogyros.de)
Date: 10/15/04

    To: Michael Simpson <Michael.Simpson@inveresk.com>
    Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 11:42:44 +0200

    Hi,

    > It is just a rapid way of identifying people which is not a bad thing in
    > some circumstances. Some catagories of patient carry alert bracelets to
    > inform any medical practitioners that they have certain severe reactions
    > or specific medical conditions.

    I would immediately accept a chip that does not contain my name, but
    only neccessary medical details and would use encryption to only hand
    out certain details to medical staff. This will still mean that
    diabetics need their bracelets, as the people who need to call an
    ambulance do not have access to a scanner, but it will definitely help
    in treating comatose patients found on the side of the road.

    The technical implementation will, however, be difficult (what to do
    about leaked private keys that will give access to the chip, for
    example).

    I wonder whether it would be possible to form a collective opinion on
    that matter, since it is something that is likely to happen and
    definitely needs to be pushed into the right direction.

       Simon

    --
     GPG Fingerprint: 040E B5F7 84F1 4FBC CEAD  ADC6 18A0 CC8D 5706 A4B4

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html