Re: [Full-Disclosure] IRC spying to increase

From: Ali Campbell (fdisclosure_at_alicampbell.org.uk)
Date: 10/14/04

    Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 04:48:20 +0000

    > What the .gov is thinking of doing now is meant for extremely large
    networks
    > like EfNet.
    > I don't think Steve van singlehandedly monitor the whole of EfNet.

    I agree that SG couldn't possibly monitor the whole of efnet, but he
    *did* have some automatic analysis going on:

    (from grc.com)

    "They snagged passing URLs and quickly downloaded anything that was
    referenced. I even got quite fancy and built a Markov-chain finite-state
    statistical dialog modeller. It monitored the flow of IRC channel
    nicknames and automated the process of determining who was talking to
    whom, and who were the "bosses" who commanded the most power and respect."

    Ali

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html