[Full-Disclosure] Nessus experience

From: Mr. Rufus Faloofus (foofus_at_foofus.net)
Date: 10/13/04

    To: full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com
    Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 10:55:20 -0500

    Greetings, full-disclosure!

    From time to time I find myself needing to estimate the time it takes
    to run Nessus against various network ranges. For some reason, it
    always seems to take longer than I expect, and I'm wondering if:

      1: I am doing something wrong (this is always a possibility)
      2: Nessus has been getting slower over time

    Specifically, with two laptops (each with 2GHz processor, and upwards
    of 600MB RAM), I recently tried to scan a range of two class C-size
    networks, to which I was directly connected via Ethernet. I had already
    done full nmaps of the hosts (this took about an hour), so I was not
    running nmap from within Nessus. I found that after over three hours,
    I had only been able to complete tests on 90-something hosts.

    This strikes me as unreasonably slow, for bulk automated testing, so
    first, I'd like to ask if these performance metrics are in line with
    others' experiences. I'd also solicit any hints people might have
    to offer on how they optimize performance, any rules of thumb anyone
    might care to share about estimating times for Nessus runs.

    Thanks, in advance, to all helpful replies.

    --Foofus.

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html