RE: [Full-Disclosure] Rootkit For Spyware? Hide your adware from

From: Harlan Carvey (keydet89_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 09/23/04

    To: full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com
    Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 06:38:26 -0700 (PDT)

    > It depends on which kit they based it on. My guess
    > is these guys weren't
    > good enough to do the coding themselves so they
    > stole someone else's code.

    That, or they're learning (rootkit coding training via
    Blackhat), or they're simply purchasing it (there are
    folks who do custom rootkit coding for hire).

    > Of course I can' t think of any rootkits under any
    > kind of license so I
    > guess it isn't really stealing. Maybe the kits'
    > authors should track these
    > bozo's down and ask for some compensation. They are
    > probably good enough to find them.

    I don't see a correlation between coding and tracking
    someone down. Also, as stated, there are some who are
    already writing rootkits for pay.

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html