RE: [Full-Disclosure] Good Network Access Control solution using dot1x?

From: Buelna, Derek (derek.buelna_at_office.xerox.com)
Date: 09/16/04

    To: Ryan Sumida <rsumida@csulb.edu>, full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com
    Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 14:20:50 -0700

    I wrote a paper on enforcing policy at the perimeter that you might find useful. http://www.giac.org/practical/GSEC/Derek_Buelna_GSEC.pdf <http://www.giac.org/practical/GSEC/Derek_Buelna_GSEC.pdf>

    Cheers,

    -Derek

      _____

    From: full-disclosure-admin@lists.netsys.com [mailto:full-disclosure-admin@lists.netsys.com] On Behalf Of Ryan Sumida
    Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2004 12:43 PM
    To: full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com
    Subject: [Full-Disclosure] Good Network Access Control solution using dot1x?

    Hello Security Folk,

    Looking for a network solution to mitigate the virus/worm problems in our university dorm network. Has any one company moved ahead of the pack in the port based NAC market? I'm not sure if this is the best way to go but in theory it would solve some of our problems. At the moment our IPS is blocking over 90,000 attacks/hour from the dorm area alone!

    A solution similar to Perfigo's CleanMachine product is what I have in mind but with 802.1x support. When end-users would like to get on the network they start in a temporary restricted VLAN. The system will then be scanned (Nessus scan , etc.) for vulnerabilities defined by the security policy. If compliant then the mac is granted network access and the port is then changing to a non-restricted VLAN. If non-compliant the mac is put on quarantine list and the port is then set to "jailed" VLAN.

    Anyone know of a good product that can do this or something similar?

    Regards,

    Ryan

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html